We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compact car in T&C... is it too small?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Compact car in T&C... is it too small?

Hi all.

We'll be in T&C in one week and I booked a Compact car (Suzuki Alto or similar) through Avis. I wondered if we should upgrade? I know a car can't be "too small" except for your needs, but we don't want to stand out... we prefer to blend in!

Also in T&C is there a NEED for a small car (I-e, small streets, small parking spots)?

Thanks!

Aero.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
248 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compact car in T&C... is it too small?

Well, gas at close to $6 a gallon is the reason I sold my SUV and bought a little car. There are lots of the them on the roads here, mainly because they are cheap to run.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compact car in T&C... is it too small?

Most of the cars are small. We booked the economy car with Avis last time and it was perfect for what we needed. Their economy cars have manual transmissions and it was fun to drive around the island. Already booked the same car for next June and it's $200 less than what Grace Bay Car Rental wants for the same 11 days.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Compact car in T&C... is it too small?

Smaller the better. No need for a large vehicle on Provo. We drove our alto all over the island for a week and only used 4.5 gallons of gas. Gas is not cheap there.

Somerset, NJ
Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Compact car in T&C... is it too small?

Agreed to all. We were there for a week and booked the Suzuki Alto through Avis....$228 for 6 days. It will fit two comfortably...the back seats had to be folded down for the luggage. But it was perfect! We drove all over the island and only used about three gallons of gas. I would say if there are more than two people go with a bigger car.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Compact car in T&C... is it too small?

Bring clown shoes and a red rubber nose and you will blend right in.

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Compact car in T&C... is it too small?

I was waiting for your response Joe!

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,104 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Compact car in T&C... is it too small?

I can't help myself. : )

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Compact car in T&C... is it too small?

You will see lots of "clown" cars there. It is fine for 2 people plus luggage. If there are more than 2 in your party, you would be better off to rent the next size up.

Joe, you are cracking me up! One year we had 4 of us in a pink compact car - I called it our "barbie" car - pretty funny since I was the only female in the party. We now rent a bigger car when it is the 4 of us.

LSH
Alburgh, Vermont
Level Contributor
623 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Compact car in T&C... is it too small?

We rented a standard sized car and it was still a clown car! We laughed about it everyday :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Compact car in T&C... is it too small?

Thanks for the answers everyone! Appreciate it.