We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding conch shells

boston
14 posts
Save Topic
Finding conch shells

Is it possible to find the big ones diving or snorkeling, or can we not take them from the park even if dead? If we can't find one, can we buy one some were that hasn't been all painted up?

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding conch shells

You cannot take them from the park technically.

They have many, many, many over at Da Conch Shack in Blue Hills. Watch the guys bring them in from The water, remove and prepare the conch and you can then take the shell.

Soak it in a bleach an water solution for a few days before you take it home.

boston
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding conch shells

Potcake - thanks - we'll try to head ove and find it!

Ocean Isle Beach...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding conch shells

On our excursion with Caicos Dream Adventures, we snorkled in waist deep water in an area that had a "grassy" bottom on or towards the south side of the island.

I found 3 "big ones", big enough to keep. Our group found many medium to small live conch but our captain (cute "local boy" DeVon) required us to leave them. It is fun to find them this way..they have grassy stuff growing on them and are nestled (not buried) in the sand. I found the big ones nestled in between some deeper "ridges". of sand.

We were also told to leave the "dead" conch. The shells are dull and do not have the glassy pink glow of live conch. Other living things take shelter in the dead conch, too. After finding my first big conch, I held it up in the air for the captain to see.

DeVon yelled that it was dead and to throw it back, and said "Be careful. Sometimes other things are hiding in the shell." At that moment, a small fish jumped stright up and out of the shell! Scared me to death and I heaved the shell. I was so glad it wasn't an eel or "snakey" thing jumping out!

We ate our conch on our beach picnic and took the shells home. One thing I found neat was how to clean the outside shell of the conch. (DeVon removed the meat and organs from the inside of the conch.) The conch has a claw sharp enough to use to scrape the grassy stuff off of the shell. We did that in the water as we were told the dye from the grass can stain hands and clothing. Doing this was sufficient enough for us to travel. Once we got home, I boiled the shells and soaked them in clorox. They are beautiful!!

PS. We had brought 3 beach towels and I used them to loosely wrap and protect the 4 conch shells to haul home in my carry on bag.