We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

have a rental and what should I do?

South Shore, MA
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
have a rental and what should I do?

I have learned so much about the island from everyone on this forum in the past months.

I drink my morning coffee and read the latest posts.

14 days until I am napping on the beach!

I will be at Coral Gardens and plan on renting a car for a day. Is a jeep the best choice?

Does anyone have a great day itinerary to see the island?

Planning on Da Conch Shack for lunch

any ideas would be a great help!

Boston...
Level Contributor
835 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: have a rental and what should I do?

beachunter.....

Greetings from an expat who hails from the South Shore also....what town are you from?

I suggest you rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle for your one day rental.....with that type of car,you will be able to venture out to Northwest Point and Malcolm's Beach.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: have a rental and what should I do?

Definitely rent a 4 wheel drive. Malcoms beach is great. We went and had the whole beach to ouselves. The snorkleing is great there too, just right off the beach!! It's kind of hard to find and bumpy ride but well worth it! We are going back on 4-20, can't wait....have a great trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
835 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: have a rental and what should I do?

You are definately going to need a rugged vehicle to travel to either Chalk Sound or Sapodilla Bay. With the recent rainfalls we have been receiving here, South Dock Road (leading out to Chalk Sound) is in very poor shape with many washouts and numerous potholes.

Drive Safe.

South Shore, MA
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: have a rental and what should I do?

thank you for the help....will plan on a jeep

4 more days.....

Boston...
Level Contributor
835 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: have a rental and what should I do?

Just to prepare you....

Gas last night at Grant's (located on Leeward Highway) listed at $4.42 per gallon

(OUCH!)

Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: have a rental and what should I do?

expat: Curiousity killed the cat, but since you have mentioned more than once that you are an "expat" and we are all friends here...can you tell us when you played and at least your jersey number?

South Shore, MA
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: have a rental and what should I do?

I paid $2.76 today and thought that was bad. Thanks for the warning.

Boston...
Level Contributor
835 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: have a rental and what should I do?

Cruisenomore....

LOL!!!!!

"Expat" is the abbreviation for "expatriate" ! In Websters Dictionary it means one who has left their native country to live elsewhere....

It is a term used here on the island to describe anyone who lives here and hails originally from another country....there is a large population of "expats" living here in the islands...some of the many nationalities here represented here include the UK,Canada, the US, France, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Guyana, and the Phillipines to name a few. I am sure there are other nationalities that I have failed to mention....

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: have a rental and what should I do?

expat, if you dont mind me asking, are you retired there or still working?

Boston...
Level Contributor
835 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: have a rental and what should I do?

Elaine,

No, I am not retired. I have a work permit/business license here on the island.