We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing Snorkel Gear?

Chicago
12 posts
Save Topic
Purchasing Snorkel Gear?

Hi there - we are headed down to Provo next Wednesday for the third time. The first was our honeymoon, the second was a total bust (I ended up having to get my appendix out while in Grace Bay) so hopefully this time will be better. Anyways, we are traveling with another couple who are weary about using "used" snorkel gear especially on the over cautious mentality of the flu going around. Does anyone know where to buy snorkel gear (mask, tube, flippers) at a reasonable price? Or, should we buy before we go? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Missouri
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Purchasing Snorkel Gear?

We always bring our own dry snorkels, masks, and neoprene dive booties on every trip. Then we use the fins provided on the boating/snorkel/dive excursions...and if we snorkel from the beach on our own, we go without, unless the resort has some to use. Fins take up so much space in a carry-ons bag. You do really need them on open water snorkel trips, especially when contending with currents/waves, and especially if you dive down to depth/ocean floor often while snorkeling. I would personally not want to go without fins when on an open water/ boat trip. While in Gracebay in Provo, you can go to Dive Provo (across from Seven Stars) and they have a very large selection of the best brands in snorkel/dive gear. I actually ended up getting fitted for and purchasing a new mask (Scuba Pro brand), while there a few weeks ago, because I was having problems with the mask I brought with me. Their prices on masks and snorkels were surprisingly pretty on par with that of the US. They are very nice, very helpful, and knowledgeable there. I have purchased a lot of scuba and snorkel equipment over the years on leisurepro.com due to good prices and service. I am pretty fond of Scuba Pro brand...have always used it for scuba diving and snorkeling. If you snorkel several times a year, I think its worth it to buy your own (fitted to you) gear. I had done trips in the past where I used what was provided, and had issues with gear every time, which made the trip frustrating instead of fun...so have since have always brought my own equipment.

22. Re: Purchasing Snorkel Gear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, December 15, 2013