We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand!

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Sand!

One of my favorite traditions when going to a new island (actually they have all been new to me since I have never been to one island twice..yet!) is to bring back a bottle full of sand and I display samples of sand from all the islands I have been to in decorative jars on my kitchen window sill.

So far I have Aruba, Anguilla and Grand Cayman. And as a joke, Ocean City, MD sand! Can't wait to add TCI sand in a few weeks!

Take a guess...which of the 3 islands I have visited has the whitest sand??

(I have also been to the Bahamas but that was when I was younger and hadn't started my tradition yet :-))

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand!

I would love to ask you questions about Anguilla - hopefully our next trip. Where did you stay?

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand!

Ask away! We stayed at Frangipani on Meads Bay, which is currently undergoing renovations. I would aslo recommend Carimar, Ku or Shoal Bay Villas.

I posted a link with photos from my trip..it's a few pages back I think. If you can't find it or haven't seen it, let me know...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand!

EllieBean - Is it Anguilla??

I started doing the same just last year. So I have sand from Grace Bay, and Flamenco & Zoni in Culebra. It's very interesting to compare the colors and texture.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand!

i have tons of little jars of provo sand and shells...i print a picture of the beach and glue it to the cap to hide the product(like a salsa jar or something)...but we've only got the provo sand...can't imagine sand much whiter...

although your pics of anguilla look amazing...

tell us...which is whitest? don't say ocean city...

Forest Hill...
Level Contributor
415 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand!

Since I'm from MD I know its not Ocean City sand. My guess would be Aruba. I would like to go to Anguilla next year and would be interested in hearing your comparisions between TCI and Anguilla. I love this tradition of yours and wished I would have thought of it when I started to visit Islands. Guess I'll just have to go back to the islands I've already been to.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand!

We do the same think - have St. Thomas, St. Kitts and Aruba as well as east coast beaches. We have a large glass container and layer them after each trip setting up an awesome contrast - - Aruba the whitest so far. Adding Turks & Caicos next week.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
356 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand!

I love to collect little shells and especially beach glass! One thing I have done is to take the glass tops of the glass containers/candy jars with the air-tight lids (the kind where you can remove the rubber bottoms) and put shells/sand in those.

Is there a lot of beach glass on grace bay beach??

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand!

By a very slim margin, Aruba wins for whitest sand. Cayman comes in a very close second and then Anguilla. Ocean City is the darkest :-)

Beverly...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand!

no beach glass on grace bay...

elliebean...you haven't gone to tci yet right? i'm curious how provo sand compares to your others...

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand!

Elliebean,

We have our bottle of Provo sand proudly displayed (in an empty Sauza tequila bottle from the trip, no less). I love looking at its beautiful whiteness, and remember how it felt under my feet. You won't be dissapointed!

Get answers to your questions about Providenciales