We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash versus Credit Card

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cash versus Credit Card

I was curious what are items you will def need cash for?

Any restaurants cash only?

Trying to figure out what to bring and would prefer to bring as little as possible

TIA!

Providenciales
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash versus Credit Card

You will definitely need cash if you plan on shopping at many of the local stores outside of the Grace Bay Area. There are banks located both in the Grace Bay area and on the Leeward Highway (centre of the island) which have ATMs that you can use to withdraw money when necessary. For most activities such as boat trips or spa appointments you will need a credit card to secure reservations but can pay cash on the day of.

The majority of restaurants associated with hotels and resorts, and major supermarkets all accept credit cards.

Austin
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash versus Credit Card

I think we used our credit card almost everywhere, although we made sure we had cash to tip our guys on our snorkel excursion and to pay the taxi to and from the airport.

Depending on where you are staying, you may or may not be able to charge your meals to your resort. Many restaurants on site at their respective resorts are separate entities and you'll need to pay for any meals/bar separately.

And you might check with your credit card company to see if you are going to be charged international transaction fees or something similar. There was a thread on this forum a few months ago, and everyone seemed to have such a different experience that I called the company of the card I planned to take to Provo and got the 411 straight from them.

Delaware
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash versus Credit Card

I would check to make sure your credit card company doesn't charge you a high fee for foreign service charges - these can add up quickly and paying cash eliminates that issue!

Oops - didn't see that someone else had already posted this tip

Edited: 7:38 pm, April 16, 2012
Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash versus Credit Card

i have found that tipping in cash is always appreciated.............capital one does not a foreign transaction fee but Bank of America does............just my experience.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash versus Credit Card

Yes, when Merrill Lynch was bought out by Bank of America, I took out a separate card for International travel. Check for fees before traveling.

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash versus Credit Card

Actually.....I think you can challenge any transaction fees.

Since there is no currency conversion being done....I don't think they can actually enforce it.

Besides....many of the resorts and restaurants have US Banks to begin with.

Something to question on your statement.

Just my experiences.

Mike

Edited: 8:51 pm, April 16, 2012
Austin
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash versus Credit Card

I agree tcimike. But I went ahead and called. I have a Chase Visa. I had them make a record of what they told me so if something shows up later, I can challenge it with their own statements. Also, remember to let your credit card company know you are traveling. The last thing you want is the anti-fraud feature to kick in when the card is used in multiple locations in 24 hours. And don't forget to list any cities you might layover in as well as your final destination. That happened to us once, and although you are happy they are careful about your card, it's a pain to straighten out on vacation.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash versus Credit Card

Thanks everyone! I actually have a card that charges no foreign transactions fees so I am ok there and I get points so I like to use it.

I figured most places are fine with credit cards and we plan to tip in cash.

Newtown, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1 post
241 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash versus Credit Card

Spent a wonderful week on Provo April 2013. AmEx only accepted at our resort (Windsong). Did not charge a transaction fee. Had to use our Citi Master Card every where else (restaurants, excursions, duty free).

Returned home to find a 3% "foreign transaction fee" assessed. Total over $100. After a long phone call and threatening to take my business elsewhere, the fee was waived.

Lesson learned - call your card issuer prior to your trip and avoid any nasty surprises.

Anyone know of any card that is widely accepted on the island and has no transaction fee?

Beverly...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash versus Credit Card

As Mike alluded to, the whole thing is a scam by these companies since it is good ol' US currency being charged to the card.