We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

letter to potcake

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
letter to potcake

Potcake, you had mentioned to contact you because you had info to pass onto me as to where school supplies, gently used clothing, etc. could be used. When we go on winter vacations we always take a few but a variety of things that the less fortunate could use. Is there some place local that we could drop them off? And what could "they" really use? Thanks!

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: letter to potcake

Yes. There is a charity group here that has now opened an orphanage. I am sure that they can make great use out of that.

Thank you for thinking of this.

I don't want to put their info on here without checking with them first.

I think that the school supplies would be a huge help. They also have started two schools here to help the children that do not have a place at the other main schools on Island.

I could arrange for a volunteer to collect them from you if you like.

We also have a Turks and Caicos Red Cross office here that are in need of clothes etc.

Their office is on The Leeward highway in The South Winds Plaza.

Which is on the way back into The Downtown area just before the Do It centre.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: letter to potcake

Thank you Potcake for the suggestions. We'll probably bring mostly school supplies as that will be the easiest to pack so the schools sounds good. My daughters are 9 and 14 and in the past we've been able to go to see the schools so do you think that this would be possible? We're hoping to rent a car for a day or two so transportation won't be a problem. If they would rather no visitors, a volunteer picking up the supplies would be fine.

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: letter to potcake

OK.

These are the most wonderful people.

The orphanage is open and they are also running two schools for children that cannot get into the main stream schools here.

They are more then happy for you to come and see them, but I cannot give out their information here.

If you have an email address that I can pass on their info to you, I will be happy to.

Or, if you would rather you can contact me, through here when you are here, with your room number and I will drop their information off to you.

Or if you are not able or wanting to go there I can arrange for some volunteers to collect your wonderful and most needed donations.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: letter to potcake

Hi Potcake. I was just thinking about contacting you again as we leave a week from Tuesday (so excited!) and we'll be staying at the Sands. How about passing the info on to me at jd_purcell@hotmail.com as I would really like to take my daughters to one of the schools. I also have a little bit of clothing so maybe the orphanage too? Would you know the approx. ages of the children in the orphanage? What do you think? My husband likes to travel light so I'll see what I can do but I am hoping to bring a larger one with "things". I don't have a rental car arranged yet but do hope to have one to get around with for a day or two. I guess if you provide phone numbers and contact names for one of the schools and orphanage could be useful in case the car rental thing doesn't work out or even to let them know when is a good time to come. Thank you for all your help!

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: letter to potcake

will do :-)

Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: letter to potcake

My family and I have taken school supplies, toys, clothes,shoes, books, treats, etc. to children in various countries as we cruise. We will be in Grand Turk in May. We would very much like to bring things to children in Grand Turk if there is a need. We have even taken our puppets, treasure hunt, games, music, etc. to share with the kids when asked. Are there any orphanages, homes, schools, etc. that we could help when we are there? Please let me know ASAP so we can get things ready to bring. Thank!

Pam

pam@kencampbell.net

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: letter to potcake

That is very, very nice of you to think of the children like this.

As far as I know, there are no actual orphanages in Grand Turk. But I am sure that the schools and the Sunday Schools at the Churches would welcome any and all donations that you would bring.

Also the hospital there.

I think that I would bring a few small games and books down and give them to the hospital there for them to have for any children to brighten their days a little.

Have a wonderful Cruise through the Islands.

Get answers to your questions about Providenciales