We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Yacht Club? Advice Please!

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shrewsbury...
Level Contributor
46 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
The Yacht Club? Advice Please!

Hello, I am searching for a vacation rental, a modest budget of under $2000 for the week (for TCI). There is availability at The Yacht Club in Turtle Cove. Any helpful comments about this resort and area? First time visiting TCI, for 2 adults in 40's. Going end of Jan 12. Can't find any reviews for this resort on TI. Thanks!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Yacht Club? Advice Please!

The Yacht Club looks nice, haven't stayed there. It's right in the marina. If it's your first time to TCI why not stay directly on Grace Bay beach where most condo's are.

Most of the resorts along Grace Bay are condo type places, and if you stay on the central part of Grace bay you won't have to rent a car your whole stay.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Yacht Club? Advice Please!

I agree with Camke. For your first visit I would stay right on the main part of Grace Bay.

The Yacht Club is located in Turtle Cove, so away from the main hub. You do have several restaurants that you can walk to. While the Turtle Cove area is nice (we spent part of our time there on our last trip) I'm glad that on our first trip we stayed on Grace Bay.

Have you checked out VRBO? Or maybe speak with someone from Turks and Caicos Reservations. They are great to deal with and many people on this forum have booked with them. They can help you find something within your budget. Also, they are running a special promotion right now with an additional 5% off.

www.turksandcaicosreservations.tc

Canada
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Yacht Club? Advice Please!

Absolutely agree with the above that Grace Bay hub is the best for the first visit. However, accommodation prices are higher there as well, aren't they? Is there a condo along Grace Bay for under $2000/wk at the end of January? Maybe a studio...

I'd look at Flipkey, vrbo, homeaway or other "vacation rentals" sites.

maryland
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Yacht Club? Advice Please!

There ia a terrific studio at OCW through VRBO available the 21st through the 27th of January. Looks like $1900 all in. Just a thought.

Shrewsbury...
Level Contributor
46 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Yacht Club? Advice Please!

Thanks for these comments - food for thought for us. Yes have trawled VRBO! Had another question/ thought - do you know what the likely taxi fare would be for 2 adults from the airport to Turtle Cove, and then back? Thinking, should we hire a car for the whole week, or just a few days in the middle of the week?

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Yacht Club? Advice Please!

Taxi should run you around $20 from Airport to Turtle Cove.

Rent the car for the whole week, hopefully you can get one. If you feel it's not needed after a few days you can cancel.

There are enough restaurants in the Turtle Cove area from Magnolia's, Baci' Tiki Hut, Green Bean Cafe, Shark Bite, and the Aqua,( has a new name)not sure if the new restaurant is open yet.

Have Fun

BTW.. You live 20 minutes away from me.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,035 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Yacht Club? Advice Please!

If staying at Yacht Club you need a car the entire time, i'd use it because you need to load up for a nicer stretch of beach. (The condo is in a marina, the beachfront is rocky, terrific snorkeling, but come on, people go to hang out at Grace Bay, not Smiths Reef)

Taxi will cost more than rental car in the long run

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Yacht Club? Advice Please!

Depends what's important to you. While I totally agree that the main part of Grace Bay is amazing, but if you like to snorkel, there's nothing wrong with hanging out at Smith's Reef!! It's still beautiful!

You don't need a car the whole time, but do suggest it for a few days. That way you can explore the island, spend time on the various beaches, pick up groceries etc.

Enjoy!

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Yacht Club? Advice Please!

Cab fare quoted to us for a one way airport transfer to the Gansevoort (located just east of the Turtle Cove area) was $9/person with a 2 person minimum charge. So, I'd assume it'd be a similar fare to the Yacht Club, so $36+tip roundtrip.

I agree with the others...if you can, rent a car for at least most part of your stay, if not all. It'll give you a lot more flexibility to explore Provo & Grace Bay Beach, more dining choices (without the high cab fares) & potentially better on the budget overall.

Edited: 10:29 pm, January 07, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Yacht Club? Advice Please!

IMO, you don't want to your first visit to the TCI to be totally on the cheap (and I can pinch a penny so hard, Lincoln screams). :-)

Mexico has lots of inexpensive vacation options if anyone wants to join the masses, but that's not the TCI.

Agree with Maca81 that www.turksandcaicosreservations.tc is a good site to compare accommodations options, and the extra 5% January booking discount is a great deal. Apparently, that's for bookings made during January, no matter when you're vacationing this year.

Edited: 12:07 am, January 08, 2012