We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi scam in Turks & Caicos

Houston, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Taxi scam in Turks & Caicos

There is a taxi rate fare scam running in Providenciales. Hotel front desks will route you to the taxis that they have deals with, they will charge $10/mile per person! Split between hotel staff and taxi. Similar issue at airport when the helpful staff get a cab for you. Group of 6 was charged $120 for a five minute trip from airport to The Sands (Sands seem to be worst offender). Welcome to Mexico!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,773 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi scam in Turks & Caicos

Actually, that is the going rate from airport to Sands. It's always per person, regardless if 1 taxi is used. Nothing scam about it.

It does not get split with the hotel, hotels have no agreements with any particular taxi.

You might find it expensive, it is expensive. Did you read the forums here before going? Taxi have been discussed to death here, no secret it's per person regardless, and it's a standard rate unlike Mexico where they make up fares.

By the way, your 5 minute ride is more like 15, and it is an expense island, a gallon of gas is closer to $7 unlike mainland type places, and they do have to make money! Everything in Turks is expensive, so you have to think accordingly, unlike Mexico where everything is cheap. There is no scam involved, it's Turks standard of living!

By the way, on these forums, we always recommend car rentals to save monies. One way trip already covers unlimited car rental, no secret here.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi scam in Turks & Caicos

Well said Blamona.

maryland
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi scam in Turks & Caicos

Tucker, how do you know this? Did you experience this often on the island? We have always found the rates to be very consistant; then we wised up and started renting a car.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi scam in Turks & Caicos

Sigh...The T&C Islands don't resemble Mexico in any way, shape or form. Thankfully. To the OP - hopefully you relax and enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi scam in Turks & Caicos

The more I think about this the more I say the price was spot on at 20 per person from airport to the Sands. Was that with or without tip?

6. Re: Taxi scam in Turks & Caicos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 am, January 01, 2012
Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi scam in Turks & Caicos

Oh right. I'm sitting here on Grace Bay pretending I'm posting from Foxboro Ma. Once I finish this post I'll be driving to the airport to pick up my $$ for the cab scam.

Shrewsbury...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi scam in Turks & Caicos

Wow, Tucker, that's pretty insulting when you have no clue what or whom you're talking about!

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi scam in Turks & Caicos

Oh and how rude of me. I forgot to welcome you to the TCI forum.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi scam in Turks & Caicos

Oh how I wish I were a local! Especially when the temps are in the 20's where I am right now.

To the OP: How do you like the Sands so far? It's one of my favorite resorts on Provo. I do hope that you plan to rent a vehicle going forward because those taxi rates to the Sands from the airport were spot on, so you can see that it's an expensive way to see the island, especially for six people.