We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carib or Central America

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Carib or Central America

I probably cant go wrong with any choice in the caribbean/central america. But can someone help us decide? We are an early 30s couple with one child(3.5yo) - Both v. demanding careers which we need to decompress frm.

We are looking for 1. great beaches, 2. things to do (with children), 3. direct flt frm NY,

Here are some options I have been looking into:

Costa Rica (Four Seasons) - I have heard that the waters are not as clear on the Pacific coast

Anguilla (Cap Juluca, Cuisinart) - no direct flts from North America?

Curacao, Bonaire, Trinidad.

Help?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carib or Central America

You might want to post this on the general Caribbean forum, for the best response.

I've been to Costa Rica, Anguilla, and many Caribbean islands.

Costa Rica beaches were my least favorite, and I found the true activities to be there for grown ups.

Anguilla has fabulous beaches. No direct flights, (must go through San Juan or St. Martin) No much to do, all about the beaches. Children do go, but not much for them. I have a 4 year old, and she was there when she was 2. I do find that kids don't need much, sand castles and swimming anyway.

I would recommend 2 places: Westin at St. John, Virgin Islands, or The Sands at Turks and Caicos. My 4 year old loves boat trips, and already swims and snorkels! (Inspired by the gorgeous water I'm sure)

St. John is hilly and scenic, the beaches are in coves. T&C is flat and dry, but has one of the world's best beaches. These beaches are great for little kids. Nice calm water, crystal clear, impossably turqouise.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carib or Central America

sorry-

you fly to St. Thomas and ferry over to St. john.

Direct flight from NY to T&C. (PLS airport code)

Carol Stream, IL
Level Contributor
69 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carib or Central America

Sorry if this goes through twice - I put in a response and then didn't see it pop up.

I have a 5 year old and we have been all over the Caribbean and most recently to Costa Rica. Costa Rica was nice but, I think her favorite part was the pool...which you can get anywhere. We stayed at Allegro Papagayo which is right by the Four Seasons, the beach was black sand (kind of muddy) and you could not snorkel from it. We did take a snorkel/sailing trip and even that was not a great snorkeling experience. We brought my mom and aunt with so, they babysat for us when we went on a canopy tour, otherwise we could not have done it. Everything is far away from everything else...1 hour plus, which is a long time in a van for a child. The highlight was a river tour, where we saw tons of animals. I have not been to Anguilla (which seems more for adults), Bonaire or Trinidad so, cannot comment. Curacao is very nice and relaxing. Arubs is one of our favorites and my daughter has been at 1 and 3. People are very nice, great/shallow beaches, strolling through town and horseback riding were all things we did with her. We stayed at the Wyndham each time which is at one end of the strip. I wouldn't do an all inclusive, as there are tons of restaurants in walking distance and a Wendy's & McDonalds. Grand Cayman was OK with her but, restaurants were expensive, especially when you are paying for a child who isn't really eating. The Bahamas are another good choice, we have been to Nassau and Grand Bahama and prefer Grand Bahama, as we think it is more relaxing and a little prettier. My daughter loved it there. We have found that as long as there is a pool, sand for castles and walking and shell collecting, she is happy.