We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches Resort V'S Excellence Playa Mujeres Mexico

Maryland
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Beaches Resort V'S Excellence Playa Mujeres Mexico

Has any one stayed at the Excellence Resorts in either Playa Mujeres or Riviera Maya/Cancun in Mexico, And also at Beaches in Provo?

How did it compare?

We have no children, but I don't mind a family resort, sometimes the Excellence was almost too quiet, but is Beaches resort predominantly children or are there couples too?(we vacation in December)

Any advice on the best room just for a couple please? We can't afford butler service!

Many Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
16,074 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Beaches Resort V'S Excellence Playa Mujeres Mexico

I have not stayed at Excellence, but I can tell you Beaches is geared more for children and families. The water parks, activities AND Sesame Street characters, even the shows at night.

You might want to consider Veranda, which is AI, but has "adult" sections and and a small adult pool area.

Are you stuck on AI? Mexico and Dominican Republic are good for AI, but T&C doesn't quite have that personality. And just so you know, other than Club Med, the 2 above AIs are on the expensive side--you can actually come out the same with other gorgeous resorts. Beaches and Veranda are really nice, but have the price tags to match, don't expect Mexico out if it!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
78 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Beaches Resort V'S Excellence Playa Mujeres Mexico

Don't go to either. Beaches is predominantly families with multiple children, and IMO Mexico in general is just so-so. Try a Sandals resort. How about Sandals Antigua or Sandals Grande St. Lucian?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
57 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: Beaches Resort V'S Excellence Playa Mujeres Mexico

I stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres Mexico two years ago and Im heading to Beaches TC May 1st!! Im going with two girlfriends. Im well aware of the family type style atmosphere but Im not concerned. I cant wait to go! I loved my stay at EPM! I'll let you know how the two compare upon my return. :)

Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
70 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Beaches Resort V'S Excellence Playa Mujeres Mexico

I'd recommend following Lactamom's advice. Best of both worlds.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
1 review
5. Re: Beaches Resort V'S Excellence Playa Mujeres Mexico

As much as I love Riviera Maya and the AI experience, there's no comparison to Grace Bay. Unfortunately, unless you are into the family experience, Beaches is not the place to be. There are plenty of places to stay on the island. You can check out the resorts at this link

http://www.provobums.com/html/links.html

nj
Level Contributor
133 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Beaches Resort V'S Excellence Playa Mujeres Mexico

i stayed at beaches as a couple and have no kids. we love it. been to cancun numerous times but just like provobum said the beaches and water no comparison. tci hands down. its a great all inclusive thats geared for kids but does not intrude on your vacation. i went 2 x in may and once in sept. resort was maybe not at capacity so it was not over ran by kids, who knows in dec.i saw many couples who were enjoying it too,not many adult shows,couple of cheesy ones. if your looking to eat drink and relax you will love it. there are a couple of adult restaraunts. i have always steered away from all-incl. but for some reason i love beaches turks and caicos. some people look down because they think its going to be" in your face" elmo, bert and ernie and kids everywhere(i was one of them,my sis booked a family vacation there 2 years ago and i cried for 6 months prior to trip, how can she do this to me with no kids. i work hard for my vacations and i have to spend it with elmo and ernie. lol)

i have been back twice after that. as far as rooms the new italian village is the nicest and is a beachfront village. we were lucky and upgraded for free to an ocean front suite.Stunning. the french village is newer than the caribbean village but is not beach front and will be the cheapest, very comfortable though.

in my opinion if you can afford the italian village book it with out a doubt. if you are beach people and cant afford the i.v book the carribean vill. closer to beach then the french vill. either way any village you book you get all the same restaraunts and service of course unless you get butler service then its whole new ball game. good luck, trust me you wont have any regrets. one look at the white powder sand and crystal clear water you will be hooked. i am a turksaholic.

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
767 reviews
7. Re: Beaches Resort V'S Excellence Playa Mujeres Mexico

I think the options you present can be a wonderful trip for a couple but it depends on your likes/dislikes/tolerance level as well as when you travel. The Mayan Riviera has a different vibe/terrain than Turks as well as Antigua and St. Lucia. You indicated you travel during December but is it during the week between Christmas and NY's? This may affect the tone of your stay as there will probably be more children at child friendly resorts. Do you have a preference of location or island??

We've stayed at BTC (with no children) during their reunion month in October with near full capacity and we did not feel that we were overrun by kids, but we also like to scuba dive, take long walks on the beach and explore the island. The water park was a blast and wasn't crowded during our stay but school vacation times will be another story.

Sandals in St. Lucia (there are three to chose from) and Antigua are also nice choices if a couples only atmosphere is what you desire. Each of the resorts has it pros and cons, depending again on your preferences.

As for room, we chose the base level in the French Village. It was a nice room second floor room but it was located near the Italian Village (IV) facing the construction site. We requested a move and were granted one. The room isn't as important to us, so we wouldn't pay for the expense of the IV as most of our time is spent on the beach or in the water.

If you have any further questions, you can always PM me.

Enjoy your stay wherever you choose.

Kim

Edited: 1:35 pm, April 19, 2010
new jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Beaches Resort V'S Excellence Playa Mujeres Mexico

hi we are a couple in our late fifties. just last year we vactioned at excellence in march and then again in october. in march we stayed riviera maya in october las mujeres. both resort were lovely and very similar. very quiet nights activites during the day. they do not play games with room categories. most room are the same. usually the only difference is locaton. we were lucky enough to be upgraded to the excellence club on our second. stay. i will tell you that in march it was exceptionally could , could not use pools or swim in ocean. we needed jacket at night. oct the weather did co operate.

we also vactioned at beaches with 3 other couples on children back in 2004. again we were upgraded to a beautiful seaside villa. we are sandal returnees. our friend's room was in the then new french village. room was lovely distance to beach not at all a problem.

we are again returning next month with our children and grandchildren and are staying in the fv. we have no problem with that.

we enjoyed all of our stays at excellence, beaches and sandals resorts.

if guess for price your biggest bang for your buck would be mexico. it always is and usually does not disappoint

remember we did beaches before it expanded and had sesame part of their hotel. we loved having the kids around and could always find a quiet spot. i do think they cater to families and for the same price you could do sandals st lucia and antigua or possibly the new sandals white orchard in jamaica. my friends are doing this new resort in november and got a very good deal. also their is the sandals white house in jamaica which is lovely.

actually you can't go very wrong with whatever you decide. it all depends on what you are looking for and your finances.

have fun exploring the possibilities.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
57 posts
48 reviews
9. Re: Beaches Resort V'S Excellence Playa Mujeres Mexico

EPM, the resort itself, I thought was nicer than Beaches. However, the beach at EPM cannot compare to Provo. The family/kids atmosphere was definitely overwhelming if you're not traveling with kids. I did enjoy my stay at Beaches, but my advice is go to EPM or stay elsewhere in Provo.

10. Re: Beaches Resort V'S Excellence Playa Mujeres Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:31 am, November 09, 2010