We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to T & C

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New to T & C

Namaste!!

My husband and I are looking for a new vacay place now that we can't go to Cancun due to the hurricane. I am looking at The Sands at Grace Bay and wondered how nice it is? Use to 4- 5 star. We like small but nice...... don't need crowds.

How's the weather in early February? Hot enough?

Any other advice welcome.......

Montreal
Level Contributor
698 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to T & C

Karma, I am at the Sands right now, I probably won't be online very much but if you have a specific question, I might be able to answer it.

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to T & C

Hello there.

The Sands is a great place to go, you cannot go wrong there at all. It is in the middle of Grace Bay Beach and is in a great position to walk to lots of other resorts and restaurants, attractions i.e great snorkeling spots and shops.

The Sands resort is not a resort that I would Label as "small" It isn't huge, but definitely not small.

Here are some other great high end smaller resorts that you might want to take a look at.

Grace Bay Beach is constantly voted in the top beaches in the world. Most of the resorts here are condo hotels. All very nice, new and clean.

look at The Turks and Caicos Club. http://www.turksandcaicosclub.com/

This is a stunning high end very quiet intimate hotel.

You would need either a car or to take taxi's to go to other places from here. There is a great restaurant next door called Coyaba, and the best snorkeling spot on the Island next door.

Coral Gardens: http://www.coralgardens.com

The Units are lovely, if you are booking a one bedroom ocean front suite or larger the whole beach side of the unit slides back so that you are indoors still but feel outside. Amazing, it makes the units much lager feeling too.

There are two restaurants, a Beach bar and grill and a high end gourmet restaurant at the back.

This is on a great stretch of beach and right out in front is one of the best snorkeling spots on the Island called The Bight Reef. My only two slightly negative comments about this resort if you could even call them that are that because of the Bight Reef being there you will have slightly more people in the water right there. Also it is in an area where you can only really walk to one other restaurant called Simba at the Turks and Caicos Club. But you are on the Shuttle route called the Gecko that goes everywhere and there are plentiful taxis. Or just rent a car for a few days. I recommend doing that anyway. Nowhere is far away from anywhere here.

Try the Grace Bay Club, more upscale, the most romantic Restaurant on the Island, and no children under 12 yrs. Old www.gracebayclub.com

and look at the Ocean Club resorts. www.oceanclubresorts.com

Ocean Club West Would be my recommendation right now out of the two Ocean Clubs.

The Royal West Indies is lovely and more economical too.

www.royalwestindies.com

Feb. is lovely here.

Average temp. over a 24hr period is

Air temp. 75-78°F 24-26°C

Water Temp.75-77°F 24-25°C

I have never known the water temp here go below 80, but that is the average temp here over 24hrs, so day and night.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
393 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to T & C

Also look at Villa Renaissance, our favorite (www.villarenaissance.com)

It is small and mostly self-catering, but pretty luxurious rooms/suites without the high price of comparable rooms and on a great part of the beach.

The weather in February is just great, as it is year-round. I think we have been to Provo every month of the year, except July and August, and always have had good weather.

Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to T & C

Wow, thank you for all your suggestions! It seems like a hard decision. I like that The Sands is in walking distance to so much. I will go online and compare pricing I guess.

Infinite Blessings!

Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to T & C

Are there washers and dryers in the one bedroom Sands condos?

Also, how is the service at the Sands?

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to T & C

Yes there are washer/dryers.

I have never stayed there, so others can tell you about the service in regards to the rooms and hotel, but I eat there a lot and the restaurant service is generally very good.

Very good value for money too.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to T & C

hi karmakid...we love ocean club west and it is very much within walking distance to lots of restaurants etc...the rooms are like condos with full kitchen and washer dryer...except the studio which has a kitchenette but still the washer dryer...if you stay at one ocean club you can use the pools and beach chairs/umbrellas and towels...fitness club...bbq grills...at both resorts which is one of our favorite things about staying with them...they also have a meal package that helps with a few days worth of dining options at 3 different restaurants...includes a boat trip or car rental too...it's a good deal...you'll see those rates at the website potcake gave you...check them out...and if you want you can go to our website provobums.com and check out our photo gallery from our various stays in various rooms there...anywhere on grace bay you can't go wrong everything is really nice...nothing is really crowded... we love ocean club west...going for our 4th stay there in april...

we went in february one year and the weather was great...snorkled and swam everyday...very hot...the only thing we didn't like about february is that it gets dark early...so now we go in april after daylight savings time so we get as many hours of daylight as possible...

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to T & C

KarmaKid: We leave tomorrow for our second trip to The Sands in the past 7 months. We found the service to be very kind, respectful and unobtrusive. The reception staff was very friendly and helped us with cabs, shuttles, recommendations and everything else. The staff at the pool was also very helpful. Our last trip took place in April. One day all of the beach chairs on the beach were taken. The gentlemen at the water sports desk by the pool quickly and without asking moved chairs to the beach for us. The wait staff at the pool and beach were also very prompt and friendly but not obtrusive. One note, don't count on the Conceirge for dinner reservations. The two times we asked the Conceirge to book a reservation for us, neither reservation was booked. Call the restaurant yourself just to be sure!

Our favorite hotels in Cancun are the JW Marriott and the Casa Magna Marriott. Comparing these to The Sands is very different in that it is more of a condo resort but it lives up to our expectations consistent with the two Marriots I referenced.

Any other questions, please ask! Mom

Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New to T & C

Dear Momstravel:

Thank you for your tips! We know exactly where you stay in Cancun..... we've stayed for years a few doors North at Le Meridien. Glad to know you feel The Sands will do!

We are so sad about not returning this year to Le Meridien due to the hurricane but are looking so forward to exploring a new place. T & C's sounds gorgeous.

Have a great vacation!

Get answers to your questions about Providenciales