We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serous Trip Report

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Serous Trip Report

I have been reading this board for months getting all kinds of very helpful info. Briefly let me say that the Palms was absolutley beautiful and the staff was great. Unfortunately, I must report a serious incident that seems to be very isolated on this island but still, happened to me. On Thurday 10-13, our day of departure I awoke with felt like the beginning of the flu, aches chills etc. By 3:00 the fever was setting in and by the time we reached Boston at 10 pm, my condition worsened to the point of being ambulanced to the hospital. I spent the next 3 days in the ICU with a deadly GI infection that brought on Septic Shock to my body. Every doctor is mystified as to what brought this on, all the cultures so far have been negative, all of the infectious disease dept is also unsure. Today is the first day of having enough strength to sit at the computer. I hope I have done the right thing by reporting this, I pray I do no harm to your beautiful island and people. Everyone else I was with ate and drank the same as I did, I thank god everyday that even my 22 month old toddler stayed well. I am a VERY healthy 38 yo w/o any health issues, if anyone has any specific info that I could report it to my doctors that would be most appreciated. I am home now resting, trying to gain my strength back.

I wish everyone well.

Chris

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Serous Trip Report

Hi there,

I am so sorry you are sick. Thank goodness you are out of the hospital and sound like you are getting better. Do your doctors have any idea what caused your gastrointestinal infection?

You say that everyone with you ate and drank the same thing. And you say that they are all OK, right?

There have been no reports here of anyone else getting sick that I am aware of. If you have any more information from your doctors please can you let me know.

I wish you a very speedy recovery.

Montreal
Level Contributor
698 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Serous Trip Report

Chris

So happy you are now better.

Did they rule out Dengue Fever?

Montreal
Level Contributor
698 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serous Trip Report

Chris

So happy you are now better.

Did they rule out Dengue Fever?

Boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Serous Trip Report

Im not sure but I will definitely ask my Doctor they were still waiting for some cultures to grow. Thank you.

Montreal
Level Contributor
698 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Serous Trip Report

Chris

Please keep us posted and all the best for a full recovery.

Herndon, VA
Level Contributor
731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Serous Trip Report

Is it possible that you stepped on something like a sea urchin?

A friend of mine had a strange blood problem about 20 years ago and her doctors were equally mystified. It seems like she stepped on an urchin and that caused her problem.

Take care.

Ed

greenville, sc
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Serous Trip Report

Chris,

Hope you are better today has there been a diagnosis yet?

Boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Serous Trip Report

I left a message for my dr to ask about dengue fever, I dont recall stepping on a sea urchin. I did do alot of snorkelling. Othe than that no word on a diagnosis. I am feeling stronger today.

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Serous Trip Report

Glad to hear it.

Let us know how you are getting on please.

Boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Serous Trip Report

Spoke to my dr today, he said it was not Dengue Fever and all of my cultures have come back negative. Just a mysterious infection, feeling stronger today, thank god for family. Thanks for all your well wishes.