We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January Honeymoon In Provo

London, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
January Honeymoon In Provo

Hi

We are coming to Provo, staying in Turtle Guest House, for our honeymoon in January. Would really welcome any advice/recommendations for day trips, good places to eat and anything else you think might be useful for us - we're coming from the UK.

Thanks - really looking forward to our trip!

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January Honeymoon In Provo

Hi Tammy

Do you mean the Turtle watch Guest House? If so, you are right in Turtle Cove with lots of places to walk to. Grace Bay Beach is right Behind you. Grace Bay Beach is constantly voted in the top beaches in the world. It is very clean and definitely not crowded.

It is the start of the beach there and there are no resorts right there. The Beach is a little rockier but there is great snorkelling right off there, it is called Smiths Reef. If you walk down the beach a little you get to the powdery gorgeous sand that Grace Bay is known for.

Must see and do?

All of the beauty of these Islands is really in the water. You must do at least one boat trip.

If I were to do one half day boat trip I would do the Sail Provo ½ day and sunset cruise, Fab. Huge beautiful boats, for all types. There is shade and also great areas for sunbathing. They take you Snorkelling, Over to Iguana Island and then back along the Island to watch the sunset.

If you don’t want to do a ½ day trip, Sail Provo also does a beautiful trip called a sunset cruise. Gorgeous. Or a Wine and Cheese sunset cruise, Includes red and white wine and cheese if you don’t like the Rum Punch!! Ha Ha?

They leave leeward marina at about 4.30, and cruise up along the cays and then back again down the whole length of the Islands at sunset. Just beautiful. A great opportunity for photographers.

Second excursion? Bottom fishing if you like that with Silver Deep. Or the Middle Caicos Cruise with Silver Deep. This is a whole day.

If you like fishing then there are huge opportunities here. All of Grace bay and in front of Grace Bay is National Park, which means that you cannot fish there, but there are places here that you can drive to and just wade in and fly fish.

Also there are tour companies that will take you to the best places for the type of fishing that you want to do. From Fly, spinning, bottom, and deep sea. I highly recommend Silver Deep for your fishing. Arthur Dean for fly and spinning/bone fishing. He is the most knowledgeable. And also Big G that works there too for bone fishing and bottom. He can tell you what fish you have on your line before you bring it up. Just by the way it pulls!! Unbelievable.

Take a 4x4 and spend a day driving around the Island. It takes about a day. It is only 42sq miles but you want to allow time to stop off for lunch and other “pit” stops.

The two sides of the Island are very different. The North shore, has the stunning Grace Bay Beach. Which the Leeward Beach is a continuation of. It is protected by a reef and is very easy to swim in and great for snorkelling, with Coral Heads to explore. Another good snorkelling spot is in front of Coral Gardens. It is called The Bight Reef.

The South shore is all Iron Shore and is the Caicos Banks as far as the eye can see. It’s like a shallow lake. And out at Chalk sound, the color of the water is amazing. I remember being in one of the resorts about ten years ago and they had put blue food coloring in a vase of flowers. A tourist asked about the Water and one of the receptionists’s commented that they go every day to Chalk Sound to get fresh turquoise water for the vase. The lady in question replied that she would be going out there forth with to retrieve some of the water!! Bless..

Go and take a look and you’ll see what I mean.

If you are into Golf than I am told that we have one of the best Golf courses in the Caribbean. (owned by the same person that has the water company!. Hence the green green grass)

“I have said this before and I will say it again, for an Island this small we have a huge number of restaurants, and some really great ones at that. We have such a wide range of them too, there is truly something for everyone.

For Lunch one day, you have to go over to Bugaloos you need a car/taxi and this is a local hangout, but it has just been moved to a new location in Blue Hills and it has really been “done-up” still Very, Very locally casual, just what it’s suppose to be. Go and see them make Conch salad straight out of the sea. Conch fritters are great and try some of their daily local fish, have it with fries and coleslaw or peas and rice to be really local. Ask for a pitcher of our local beer, Turks head to wash it down (Dress code, Cut off’s and bikini tops)

There are many restaurants right in Turtle Cove. There are some very casual restaurants and bars there. Tiki Hut is an Island Institution. It is very nice. Casual on the water at the Turtle Cove Marina, Great Ribs!

Also try Aqua’s. Great sushi there too. It is owned by the same person that also has the more upscale Bay Bistro.

I love the Italian which is your closest restaurant. It is called Baci’s and is very good value for money. The Best Garlic Toast, Far too gorgeous pasta, and daily fish specials.

(three resident cats that John rescued)

The Sharkbite is great if you want to stop in for a beer after snorkelling.

One of my favorite restaurants is overlooking Turtle Cove. You get to it from The Tiki Hut, cross the road and then walk up some steps.

It is called Magnolias. If you get there before sunset you get a simply splendid view of the whole bay. If you are into it, you must try the Tuna Tartar!! Oh my God!!

It is set in one of the oldest buildings here, attached to a lower end Hotel called The Miramar but the Restaurant is independently owned and is anything but low end.

It is run by a couple that came here about 15 yrs ago on their honeymoon.

Fine Dining is something that we certainly have our fair share of. Great for honeymooners.

Anacaona is probably the most Romantic Restaurant here. No Children under 12yrs. Old. Chef Eric was here about nine years ago and then left to go to Bora Bora. Luckily he returned and is a star.

Try the moist chocolate cake for desert and you will be in heaven.

Graces Cottage at Point Grace, has beautiful Cuisine. It isn’t on the water, but set in an Asian garden like atmosphere. The best Rack of Lamb ever. It’s Horseradish encrusted! They also have a chef’s specials menu that gets changed every two days.

Coyaba restaurant has a fantastic chef as the owner, Paul Newman!! (No Not that one!)

The food is awesome. The setting isn’t all that though. They have done well with what they have, but it is a little cramped and can be hot if there is no breeze.

Parallel 23 at the Palms, is our latest fine ding addition. Very good food and service. It looks like a colonial mansion house. The menu is a fusion of Asian, Indian, Mexican, Moroccan and Caribbean! Very well done.

Simba at The Turks and Caicos Club. Very small, intimate and friendly. That is the nearest resort up the beach from you.

I’ll also add Bay Bistro at Sibonne, to the list. It is in an older hotel right on the Beach. It has recently been taken over by Clive who is an excellent Chef. The setback laws have changed here so you will no longer be able to have a building like that right over the beach.

Great Seafood. A little more Casual than the others.

Hemingway’s at The Sands on a Thursday evening, Is lovely. They have live music. They also have him on Tuesdays but the music goes a little later on Thursdays. Great value for money and Quinton Dean is a true star. If you closed your eyes you would think that there was a band of five people up there, not one man.

The Happening evening here is a Friday. The Ports of Call shopping Center in The Grace Bay Area has music upstairs on a Friday Evening. A Live Band that you can dance under the stars too.!! Really, really great fun (a little raunchy sometimes!!!)

Careful on the roads on a Friday Night Please.

You can call Spa Tropique (941) 5720 or (231) 6938 when on Island www.spatropique.com

And they will come and do a couples massage in your villa.

Go to Iga to get a few staples for your villa, don’t buy wine and beer/spirits there though, it’s much more expensive. If you have a car, go to Discount Liquors and Wine Cellar on Leeward Highway.

But what you really, really must do, is relax. Make yourselves a drink. Sit out by the ocean, watch the green flash and applaud the sunset. Enjoy being on your honeymoon in this special place.

Welcome to The Turks and Caicos Islands.