We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather confusion - mixed reviews

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Weather confusion - mixed reviews

Hi all! I need to take a vaction this October. Looking for sun and sand. I keep reading that the ABC islands are the best place to go during hurricane season. However, I have wanted to check out T&C for years. Really want to go to the Club Med and relax.

My question... I keep seeing all over this forum that Provo doesn't really get much rain, just light sunshowers. But then I check out the weather websites, and they show thunderstorms for the next 10 days. What gives? Most of the positive weather posts are from Potcake, who is a local and writes great reviews. Most of the negative weather reviews are from unlucky tourists. Don't know what to think. Potcake, are you maybe being a great salesman and downplaying the weather, or are the weather reports that off?? If you really get 350 days of sun, it looks like your entire yearly rain is about to hit. Please advise!

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather confusion - mixed reviews

Hi,

I don't want to push our luck, but we have been living here, full time, for well over a decade, and these Islands do seem to be very lucky when it comes to hurricanes!

Right, there it is, I've jinxed us!

We are kind of tucked in by the DR's mountains!

I have had people email me here now for the past ten days and ask about horrible weather reports and I'm looking out my window and all I see is blue. Don't get me wrong, I live here, I don't want this! I have to pay for water, and irrigation and landscaping and I have to work in the heat.

We want rain.

I cannot guarantee that you will have total sun and no rain, I wish I could, I would have it well and truly made!

This is still Hurricane season and anything is possible. But all looks good here right now!

That's all I can tell you.

P.S

I don't earn any money for telling people that it's sunny days ahead. It costs us more to live here if it's nothing but sunny days ahead.

I have to just chip in and say though, that unless we have a sever storm around, IE the start of Katrina, when it does rain here, it doesn't last long.

Not nearly long enough to make a dent in our cistern!!! Just our wallet

P.P.S

If you want to relax.... are you sure you want to go to Club Med?

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather confusion - mixed reviews

Potcake is right on with the weather report. We've been to TCI many different times of year and have always had beautiful weather even when the weather report called for rain every day. Some times of year are hotter than others but always beautiful weather. There have been some unlucky travellers in the past that got an unusual couple of days of rain but not an entire week of rain. The weather is always a gamble no matter where you travel to. At least in TCI your odds are good that you'll have fantastic weather 99% of the time. Enjoy!

Beverly...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather confusion - mixed reviews

the online weather always shows thunderstorms daily but in reality if it rains it's a brief shower and then sunshine takes over...we've been to provo 4 times...always the weather looked iffy before we left...but we've only seen 1 day of total rain and that was easter a few years back...other than that every time it rains it's over in less than an hour...sometimes it rains hard...but not long at all...you can sit on the beach and see it raining over one area and feel the sun shine on yourself...don't worry about the weather...hurricanes are another story to watch for but rain...no worries mon...

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather confusion - mixed reviews

It Rained last night ! lol

I know because when I got up this morning my driveway was wet.

Maybe someone just came over to wash down my driveway? It was looking a bit dirty.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather confusion - mixed reviews

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the local perspective. I didn't mean to give you a hard time Potcake (but you could have been a travel agent for all I know), I think you write really good posts and was hoping for some clarification on this weather issue. I am dying for some sun. Haven't had a vacation in two years. Last one was to the Dominican Republic, and they had an earthquake while I was there!!

T&C has been on my short list for years, and I would really love to check it out, but October is the only month I could get away from work and it is hurricane season, so the weather is making me nervous. I think I am leaning towards Oct 15-22. Maybe the weather will be better then?

Keep the updates coming. You guys are really helpful. :)

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather confusion - mixed reviews

We were in TCI the beginning of October last year and weather was great. We'll be back the end of this October and can't wait. I wouldn't worry about the hurricanes. Last year when we were there, a hurricane had come thru just a week or so beforehand. You couldn't tell that it had other than Beaches used the opportunity to shut down to do renovations. We love going in the "slow" months. The beaches are even emptier than usual.