We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grace Bay similar to 7-mile Beach in Grand Cayman?

NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grace Bay similar to 7-mile Beach in Grand Cayman?

Never been to T&C, but a few times to GC. Wondering how Grace Bay area compares to 7-mile Beach are at GC - - similar # of hotels, condos, etc.? Beaches as open, nice?

For some reason, I have the impression Grace Bay is more congested and crowded than 7-mile Beach. Only an impression, so hoping to get facts intead.

Thanks!

Joe

North Caicos
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grace Bay similar to 7-mile Beach in Grand Cayman?

Hi NjJoeD,

My name is usually njjoebwan on forums, and we have been to GC twice, so I feel compelled to answer your questions.

Grace Bay is less developed than Seven Mile Beach. There are almost no hotels, and almost all resorts are condos so the density per resort is low compared to GC. The only dense resorts are Club Med and Beaches which are several miles away from each other. The Sands can also get congested during the high season. Also, Grace Bay has a 12 mile long beach vs. seven.

Some of the lamenting over development you hear on this forum are because most of the development happened over the last 6-8 years. Our first time to Provo was in 2003 and the roads weren't paved yet.

The beach and the water on Grace Bay are much nicer than Seven Mile Beach. The sand is whiter, the water is more blue, and it is generally calmer.

We liked Grand Cayman, but we love TCI. It is an addiction for some people.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grace Bay similar to 7-mile Beach in Grand Cayman?

Agree with joebwan.

We found 7-mile beach much more "Americanized" than Provo.

Provo doesn't have the retail development and fast food chains found on GC, nor does it allow cruise ships.

Traffic on Provo is not near the level we experienced along 7mb. They've yet to even install a traffic light on Provo.

The beach directly in front of Beaches Resort is the only spot along Grace Bay that I've seen congested. However, it's all-inclusive, so the vast majority never seem to leave the resort. Hence, the rest of the beach and island remain pretty quiet and subdued.

It's been our experience that we never share the beach with more than 6-8 other people along the west side of Grace Bay beach.

As I recall, we prefered the north end of 7mb, and thought it came closest in comparison to the majority of Grace Bay beach.

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,780 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grace Bay similar to 7-mile Beach in Grand Cayman?

Let me put it this way......NO Way!

We have visited Grand Cayman- once and stayed at the Grand Hyatt.

Have visited Providenciales 9x and going on Easter for the 10th time.

Seven Mile Beach and GC are nice.

Turks and Caicos and Grace Bay.....blows it AWAY!

After first visiting TCI in 2004 and falling in love at first sight.....we would not too likely ever return to GC.

Grace Bay......

much nicer beach

island is less developed

more relaxed with much less commercial feel

beach is wider, longer and much less developed

condos are very nice that are developed on the island compared to the endless supply on GC squeezed on the beach.

This is just my personal opinion....but Turks is just a more relaxed, more beautiful island than GC.

If you want more development go to GC.

If you want paradise, come and see.

Just my honest, educated, opinion.

And yes, my name is Michael and I am an addict.

I have TAD Turks Addictive Disorder....and it is terminal.

Mike

Fernandina Beach...
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grace Bay similar to 7-mile Beach in Grand Cayman?

No question about it. 7 mile is much more developed than Grace Bay. Spent 7 months on Grand Cayman in 2005-2006 and at that time 7mile was far more developed than Grace Bay is today. If developement has continued there, I'm sure the difference is very significant.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
423 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grace Bay similar to 7-mile Beach in Grand Cayman?

I, too, would agree with the above posters that Grace Bay is less congested and quiter than 7-Mile Beach. We traveled to Grand Cayman five times over the past ten years and love it, but after discovering Grace Bay last summer, we now have a new favorite beach.

The islands are similar, but different. They are alike in that the main attraction is the beautiful water and the beaches--both are truly lovely. Grand Cayman does have more of a "touristy" feel, with more shopping, restaurants, fast food, etc... than Provo. Provo has wonderful condo properties, but not large hotel resorts such as the Ritz or the Westin on GC. Both have wonderful restaurants, good places to shop for groceries, friendly people, and both are safe places to visit with your family provided you use the same normal caution you would use in the States. Personally, I feel GC has better off-shore snorkeling, but both islands have great snorkeling, diving, and other water-related outings.

One thing that I much prefer on Grace Bay is the way the condos are run. As a family with teenagers, we like to rent condos rather than hotel rooms as the kids like their own space and we have the option of grabbing breakfast or lunch in before hitting the beach. On 7-Mile Beach, the condos have housekeeping and occasionally a concierge on-staff, but little else in the way of amenities. On Grand Cayman, we would walk up the beach to the Westin in order to grab a smoothie in the afternoon or rent watersports equipment or eat lunch out.

Grace Bay's condos seem more full-service as many have restaurants, beach or pool bars, watersports equipment on site, concierge service, beach attendants, etc... Some even provide room service. It is like having the services of a hotel with the space and amenities of a condo. We really enjoyed this last summer and look forward to the same amenities this June.

I love both islands and will gladly spend a week or two at either at every opportunity possible!

6. Re: Grace Bay similar to 7-mile Beach in Grand Cayman?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 pm, October 21, 2009