We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to provo trip report

chicago
Level Contributor
9,578 posts
25 reviews
first time to provo trip report

i was in provo 12/25- 1/1 and stayed at the comfort suites, it was $130 a night, i thought it was a great deal! i never saw any "locals" hanging out at the bar and found the breakfast to be fine for a free breakfast, they had juice, cereal, toast, banana bread, croissants and oranges

it would have been nice if they had screens on the windows because there were mosqitos so we had to sleep with the windows closed which was a bummer! the beach chairs were also old and poor quality, although, i did notice that many of the expensive hotels had the same cheap chairs

we never ended up renting a car, i walked everywhere, one day from CS to the end of the island by nikki beach and another day from CS to turtle cove marina, both were really nice walks, bring water and a snack

places we ate:

jimmys- skip it, food was poor and not cheap

caicos cafe- really good, make reservations

anacaona- went for drinks, beautiful place

magnolia- loved it, make sure you get there before sunset and make reservations

coco bistro- totally booked the whole time we were there : (

mango reef- very good, went twice, they have the best ice cream!

bay bistro- not so good, was ok for happy hour though

hemingways- very good, went twice

da conch shack- very fun, worth the drive

to save money you can go to hemingways or mango reef for dinner before 6pm and order off the lunch menu

snorkeled at bite reef, rented snorkels from dive provo and walked there from CS

went with caicos dream tours on a snorkel trip, picked them because they make a stop at half moon bay which was amazing! the guys on the boat were great and we even found jojo and his family!

really enjoyed provo, i would recommend it for a family trip or a couples trip, nothing there for singles unless you just want to dive and go to bed early, everything is closed by 10ish

only took 2 taxis, one to magnolia and the other to conch shack, so for those who dont like to rent cars, i can guarantee you dont need one if you like to walk

i will return to dive, couldnt this time because im pregnant

im happy to answer any questions : )

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
661 posts
87 reviews
1. Re: first time to provo trip report

Thanks for the report--thats an impressive amount of walking!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: first time to provo trip report

Nice to hear you had an enjoyable vacation. That's a bummer that Coco Bistro was booked. That will just have to be on the list for your next trip.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
51 posts
3. Re: first time to provo trip report

thanks - very nice report and helpful

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: first time to provo trip report

Glad to hear you like to walk and agree that you don't need one. I only took the taxi twice too. Walked everywhere. How was the weather?

chicago
Level Contributor
9,578 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: first time to provo trip report

the weather was great, sunny and 80's every day, only rained once and of course that was when we were out on a boat!

regarding the tap water, i drank it, i honestly could not tell the difference between it and chicago water, so there was no need to buy bottled, just bring a nalgene

Beverly...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: first time to provo trip report

thanks so much for sharing about your trip...

those are really long walks and then you said you are pregnant so those are really really long walks you went on...wow...good for you...

it's the best way to see all of grace bay and the resorts that way...

thanks again for the report and we are glad you had a great time...

any pictures to share?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
16,364 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: first time to provo trip report

sounds like a nice trip. I was there at the same time, so we may have crossed paths!

You must be in terrific shape, I'm not pregnant and that's too far for me to walk! ;-)

While the island seems safe, at night combined with a bad economy-I wouldn't be walking to Nikki Beach or Turtle Cove-asking for trouble and not worth it. During the day, as it sounds you did, is fine.

Good advice for those on a budget-to eat right before 6 to order from cheaper lunch menu. You can also order pizza and lasagna from Pizza Pizza-they deliver-and get rotissorrie chicken at IGA supermarket.

If you return to dive, make sure you bring baby with you and take the baby to Sapadilla Bay or Taylor Bay, those beaches were made for babies and kids!

Please share pictures!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
8. Re: first time to provo trip report

Thanks for the report.

You're much more likely to meet local residents "Belongers" at some of the other Blue Hills restaurants, or sports bars like Bonnie's and Club Sodax. The Tiki Hut's Wednesday "Chicken or Ribs" night also attracts a pretty good local following.

We've always found everyone to be both friendly and welcoming to visitors.

chicago
Level Contributor
9,578 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: first time to provo trip report

the reason i mentioned locals at CS is because there are some posts in the hotel section that talk about locals crowding the bar at CS and making the guests feel uncomfortable

this was not the case when i was there, the only thing i noticed was a couple of taxi drivers that stopped by to wish the bartender a merry xmas : )

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
10. Re: first time to provo trip report

Hmm, guess I'm glad the Belongers don't feel uncomfortable when I crowd their bars. :-)