We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surfing in the Turks and Caicos

Palm Coast, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
surfing in the Turks and Caicos

Going to a conference with my husband in March and wondered if there were any surf spots in the Turks and Caicos. We'll be staying on Provo. If there is nothing on Provo are the other islands easily accessible to take a surf trip from Provo? Thanks for any help.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
16,096 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: surfing in the Turks and Caicos

check out www.windguru.com. If you get 3 stars, then you have a chance. Statisically, the beaches in T&C are all protected by huge coral reefs, the water tends to be super calm like glass-so i won't count on it. I have seen waves, but maybe only 10% of my visits had a couple of them. Check out pictures, even on this forum, you'll see not much wave action.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
2. Re: surfing in the Turks and Caicos

I've heard of occasional surfing off-shore, near the outer reef, but have no direct knowledge.

The only time I've seen real waves along Grace Bay, they were all forming and breaking close to shore -- not even good for bodyboarding.

Palm Coast, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: surfing in the Turks and Caicos

Thanks for the information. I thought it looked like from the map that Provo had like a barrier reef. The pictures I saw of surfing in the T&C were definitely beach breaks so I guess it's an island other than Provo.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: surfing in the Turks and Caicos

Hey srf4hm,

we have some decent surfing on Provo when we get a North swell usually accompanied by a descending cold front (strong North wind). We ride either above the Leeward Cut or at Northwest Point.

We are usually kitesurfing but bring our long boards out too.

Check www.windguru.com it shows wind speed, swell direction height and frequency.

Peace Out,

Palm Coast, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: surfing in the Turks and Caicos

Cool, thanks. I'll bring my longboard and hope for the best. May be a good time to take a kiteboarding lesson!

Palm Coast, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: surfing in the Turks and Caicos

PS Is there any place to rent a surf board?

Providenciales
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: surfing in the Turks and Caicos

srf4hm,

please feel free to PM me before your trip. You can borrow one of our extra boards for free. I'd won't recommend bringing a surf board down as the airline charge about $100.00 per flight.

If you're interesting in learning kiteboarding I'd suggest getting some kiteboarding lessons back in Florida before you arrive as the local operation charges about $150.00 per hour. It will take about 1-2 days to get the basics down.

Fair Winds, Big Surf

Palm Coast, FL
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: surfing in the Turks and Caicos

Wow, thanks so much! That would be great. Great idea on the kitesurfing as well. I know some guys that do it in the inlet where I surf so I'll check it out.

It looks like we'll be going around the 3rd week in March so I'll get in touch with you then.

Again, thanks, that's a very generous offer.

Gloucester...
Level Contributor
443 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: surfing in the Turks and Caicos

Andrew, Do you need 4x4 to get to the NW Point kite launch?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
289 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: surfing in the Turks and Caicos

i was there with my husband middle of october and we were on the beach one day when we witnessed a boat fip over. it was way out by the reefs where the waves were pretty big. apparently a boat had taken some surfers out and had lost track of them and was looking for them when it was flipped from the huge waves. the next day we saw the boat close to shore still belly up. heard everyone was ok but it was pretty scary to witness.