We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T&C trip report

Aston, PA
1 post
Save Topic
T&C trip report

I want to say our trip 6-21 to 6-28 was terrific and I thank everyone who has provided me with invaluable information. We stayed at the Sands. No problems. We stayed in Bldg. 1 thanks to a trip advisor's tip. It was immaculate, 2 bedroom, ocean view. The view was more than we expected. Appliances new, air conditioning working. There were tiny problems but didn't complain because everything at the Sands was more than we expected. We didn't have any problems with bugs. Weather was great, rain-out only 1 day. Very hot, muggy. We did bring lots of suntan lotion. I recommend 50 spf and reapply often. We bought food at the IGA. Saved a lot of money. We ate at Hemmingways, Danny Bouys, Tiki Hut, 21 North. All had good food. Wish more restaurants had air. Drinks on the beach at the Sands were $7 so we bought Pina colada mix and rum and voila' recreated the same drink only with a little more kick. Our first day I had about 3 of the Sands drinks and really didn't feel them and I am a person whose usual limit is 2 light beers. Still no complaints, just friendly advice. We did parasailing arranged by the Sands. It was great but I would have felt more secure if they didn't have ganga music playing. We took a glow worm cruise with Sail Provo. It was relaxing, well-run and lots of friendly people but I thought that the stars were more impressive than the glow worms. My husband and 2 girls went horseback riding with Caicos Corrals. They had the best time. They were picked up at our hotel and even given some instruction before going. Go to Mama's for souvenirs. My daughter ended up dancing in the store with her. The majority of locals were very nice. ATMs are scarce or are not working. Tyrel of the Sands drove my husband to the bank when we ran out of cash and not all businesses accept credit cards. We took the Gecko for 3 days. Not a bad deal when you compare the cost of a rental and the driving on the left thing and the circles that go with them. My husband drives at least 3 hrs.every day and was grateful he wasn't drviving. Roads are not so hot. We went snorkeling at Coral Gardens one evening. Very few people on the beach but the owner who happened to be sitting next to us asked an employee to get us off his chairs because we were not paying guests. Mind you I counted 50 chairs and about 10 were being used. Not very hospitable if you ask me as we had intended to eat dinner at Coyaba or lunch at the cafe. Keep that in mind if you trudge on down there. I think we were just unlucky. It was our only negative experience in T&C. I walked on the beach for 40 minutes & and for at least half of the time I was the only one there. This was a once in a lifetime thing as the ongoing construction will change T&C radically very soon. It was definitely a breathtakingly beautiful paradise that has given myself and my family an unforgetable memory.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: T&C trip report

Thanks for the trip report. I have heard about Mamas from other folks. Is her shop at Ports of Call? She sounds like quite a character. What did you do on rain out day?

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: T&C trip report

We met Mama on our last day there - she was so funny and had lots of ideas to help me get over my heat rash! Great shop with lots of souvenir options.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T&C trip report

Where is Mamas?

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: T&C trip report

It's at Ports of Call, in the middle where there's a sort of courtyard.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: T&C trip report

Thanks, she sounds fun. Also heard that RWI had a few good souvineer items like T-Shirts at a decent price.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: T&C trip report

RWI has great stuff in the lobby. The shirts and very nice with a pretty logo; they also had two different totes which while pricy were really nice. And hats, mens polo shirts, baby outfits... they didn't have many sizes when we were there - I bought the last ladies' S and couldn't buy there for other family members because they didn't get any more sizes in while we were there. But they have a great store in Saltmills (close to Anna's Gallery) where they sell Fresh Produce tees and other nice shirts, so that's where I did the buying for my mother-in-law and sister-in-law.

new york
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: T&C trip report

Ramblinmom, Thanks so much for posting after your trip. We are planning to go to Provo next June. Thanks for a great report. Did you much snorkeling? Was wondering about the weather since we plan on going the same time of year. I guess your hot a muggy says it all. Thanks so much.

Montreal
Level Contributor
698 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: T&C trip report

Could you tell me Mom where building number 1 is situated..what floor were you on and what number? I will be there in Nov.

Many thanks!!

new york
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: T&C trip report

HI, Mom Did you happen to notice Island Club Town houses when you were at Danny Buoys? We are looking into staying there was hoping to get some feedback. Thanks

Milltown, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: T&C trip report

We also went to Mamma's. She is out of her mind. She told us that she had 12 daughters!!!!When I congratulated her she told me they were they ranged from 3 months-12 months ??!! You can't believe a word that comes out of her mouth. She is quite a character...