We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
US Airways

Can anyone advise on a trip to Charlotte from London with US Airways? I can't find a good word about US Airways from anyone, but no recent reviews. Do they have seat-back TVs for kids and are meals included?

We plan to travel to Savannah so would we be better off going to Atlanta?

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Provo
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: US Airways

My hubby is from the UK and we go to the UK every year on US Airways. Our other choice from here is through Miami on American Airlines and quite frankly we would rather overnight in Charlotte and pay extra to go on US Air. Charlotte is a great airport, customs is usually quick and friendly and the airport is clean and nice.

We also like flying from Gatwick vs Heathrow, closer to our destination and a little less crowded (lines for US air) are shorter generally because the Charlotte flight is about the only one. There are tv's in the seat backs and there is a childrens option (although my youngest still preferred to look at our own dvd players as the programming wasn't huge and varied but sufficient) and meals are included although not a lot. (going back to UK breakfast is only a doughnut type of pastry thats it) The meals are basic and I always bring lots of snacks.

My sister lives in ATL and the customs/immigration experience is a lot more of a hassle (especially if coming from a Transatlantic flight) coming into that airport. You have massive immigration area, you pick up your bags, then have to recheck them (even if Atlanta is your final destination), then go through security, take the underground train, (for the full ride), then go wait for your luggage again. Charlotte is a quick walk to immigration, another quick walk to your luggage, and then your are in the terminal to get your car etc.

If you are choosing based on airports solely, go with Charlotte, much easier. I personally like US Air vs American which is the other carrier I have to fly. At the end of the day its 8-9 hours in a small tube with lots of people, it is what it is...the vacation is the thing that is important.

Mentioned in this post
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Airways

I haven't been to London, but US Airways is the only

one that I ever use.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: US Airways

Seems like you need to be on the Savannah, GA. forum.

However, if flying or driving to Savannah, it would be best to go through Atlanta. Delta Airlines is headquartered in Atlanta.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
natawee110
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: US Airways

US airways is the worst airline I have ever flown. The first time I flew with them from Las Vegas to LA, my flight was delayed for EIGHT hours and they were completely rude at the ticket counter. More recently, I flew with them again and they canceled one of my flights because they did not have a pilot to fly the plane. Then they delayed my flight twice. They will not refund anything they only give you stupid vouchers and they aren't worth anything because they're flights directly through them are overpriced anyway. I HATE US airways and will most likely never fly with them again.

Mentioned in this post
waukesha,wi
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Airways

Have flown US Air maybe 3 times in the last 4 years. Have had absolutely no problems. No more than one flight delayed (by an hour) and no lost luggage. In this day of airline trouble possibilities, we've been lucky. Knock on wood.

Had more problems on NW than USAIR.

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Airways

Gee..... We have flown USAirways to many destinations in the Caribbean and have flown Star Alliance partners to Europe. We have been about 95% satisfied with their service.

Flying them again for Easter through Charlotte to TCI.

No meals served in coach. Have tvs but not seat back.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Beverly...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Airways

we too have flown many times with usair thru charlotte and never had any issues...

NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: US Airways

Don't fly them too often, but have never noticed much difference from any other airline. They seem to have taken some steps over past year to improve their service. All the airlines are struggling though, and anyone can have a bad flight on any given day.

Full meals in coach are unusual on any U.S. domestic flight. And, seat back TVs just depends on the plane you're on. If you know, check out seatguru.com. Great site where you can see specifics about whichever airline and type of plane you'll be on.

Good luck

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Airways

Hey, they can't be that bad...they have Capt. Sullenberger!!!!!!!!!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Airways

No more, I think he "retired".