We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches or death

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches or death

Ever since deciding to go to beaches and discovering this site, I have exhausted my brain daily over and over again, "I love beaches", "I hate beaches", "hell on earth", "over priced let down", "dont worry you will love it", blah blah blah blah blah...

I love this site but those OCD people out there (like me) know what I am talking about (yea you). All the discussion on the how much $$ topic below makes me feel so much better about Beaches. So the food wont be great but the time and energy saved from further daily deliberations is worth it and better yet we dont have to take money, well much.

If we didnt have kids, we would be staying somewhere else but give me Beaches or give me death ...... I cant wait to get home and write our review. Thanks for letting me vent!

new york
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Beaches or death

I just returned from Beaches and I stressed about it for months, reading the bad reviews, expecting the worse, even warning my husband about what I read (he thinks I'm nuts, definitely OCD). Anyway, we loved it, would definetly go back. Yes, it was expensive but we think it was worth it. We ate way too much, drank way too early in the morning and enjoyed all the water sports that are included in the plan. Had we gone somewhere else (and we have been to other carribean islands) we would not have enjoyed snorkeling every day as well as the hobby cats because they are very expensive to rent. This way, we paid upfront and snorkeled every day, right off the beach. Took out the hobby cat every day. Saw the most beautiful beach we have ever seen. The color or the water can't be described. The food was very good. We love Schooners the best. The staff was awesome. Say hi to Kirk and Dudley. Loved watching the shows at night with my cappuccino and desert from the cafe (did I mention the 10 pounds I gained!). Even Bobby Dees had good hamburgers. Don't stress about this trip. Take everyone's advice and just go with it. Take the bug spray, take the sun tan lotion, you don't need to bring snack like I did and never used. You will have access to drinks and snacks all day, especially at Bobby Dees and the Paris Cafe. You can grab a bag of chips, pretzels, granola bars. You can go into Bobby Dees and eat at any time, grab a soft drink and bring it to the beach. If you hang at the pools you have a swim up bar. You won't hungry or thirst and you won't be bored. Heck, just bring book and sit on the beach and enjoy the ocean. I could stare at it for hours. The water was like bath water. I so miss it as I am writing this. I stressed for NOTHING.

New York
9 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Beaches or death

Thank you Lee. I've also gone back and forth regarding Beaches. I'm going mid October and because it is a lot of money I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I'm going for stress relief by myself. I'm happy you had a great time.

new york
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Beaches or death

I think this is a good place to go alone. You will feel safe, the staff is friendly. You won't have to worry about finding somewhere to eat and wandering around alone. I actuallly went into town alone and felt safe although there wasn't much to see. I shopped at Mama for souveniers. It was the only place I needed to go. They had all the knick knacks you need (or really don't). Mama's sister actually drove me back to the hotel when I asked her to call me a cab! I sat on the beach or by the pool alone sometimes and just read my book or my trashy magazines and it was very peaceful. Have a great time.