We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions about requesting a specific unit at OCW...

chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
A few questions about requesting a specific unit at OCW...

Heading to OCW this week and staying in a 1 bd oceanview (not oceanfront). Put a request in for a third floor but they said probably not going to get one as it is busy right now. Just as well as I have two young kids (4 and 2) and the stairs could be a pain. As such, a few questions:

- My flight gets in at 1pm on a Sat - would this time of day get me a good choice of room (and potentially a third floor?) as they said first come first serve, regardless of room request?

- If I am on the first floor, Is there any specific building or unit # I should request, or are the units all furnished/kept up about the same?

- Can I ask them to show me two or three units and pick the one I like best?

Thanks very much...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions about requesting a specific unit at OCW...

I believe Saturday afternoons are the busiest arrival time.

You'll appreciate the first floor units with two small kids. I'm assuming at least one isn't potty trained. Been there, done that.

The buildings are arranged closely together around the pool and facing the ocean, so it really doesn't matter which one, IMO.

Owners of rental units have three decors to choose from, all tasteful. In other words, no orange shag carpet to worry about.

Have a great trip!

chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions about requesting a specific unit at OCW...

caribdesi - thanks very much for the reply...

Toronto
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions about requesting a specific unit at OCW...

Request building D, if that is not available request C. They are the closest OceanVIEW, not Front buildings.

You may still have a shot at 3rd floor that time of day. If not third floor try for 2nd floor. You really don't get a view of the ocean when you are ground floor. Yes stairs are a pain, I travelled with my almost 4 year old, but the view and the privacy make it worth it.

Building D, rm 433 was where we stayed. It was an immaculate corner unit, 3rd floor. The decor greatly differs from suite to suite as they are privately owned. If you are not happy with the room they assign you, politely ask to see another one. You are paying a lot of money, you deserve the best available, right!

Have fun.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions about requesting a specific unit at OCW...

The rooms are usually determined the night before. All the units are individually owned, so they have to rotate them from owner to owner. (for example, someone can't say, floor unit in building 3, because it might be another "owner's" turn for the rental.) They only thing you can request is based on the price you pay, ex, oceanfront vs garden view, studio vs 1 bedroom, etc. If you don't like the room you've got, ask them to show you other "catagories" (if available) and that you would be willing to pay the upgrade difference.

Almost all the big flights come with an hour of each other. They are not that spread out, and you'll find alot "join" through customs.

Delta comes in around 12, AA around 1, Usairaways around 2. Saturdays are even busier, with extra flights from NY, Philly, Boston and London and Bahamas coming in. Also Spirit Air comes in on Saturdays in season.

Having said that, the customer service at Ocean Clubs is very friendly. You'll be fine no matter what.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions about requesting a specific unit at OCW...

Unless the resort has changed its policy since we last stayed there in 2003, we never saw the decor differing greatly from suite to suite -- among those in the rental pool.

Each owner was presented three decor packages that included furnishings, lamps, wall-hangings, etc., and asked to choose one. Rental units had to be one of the three.

You would sometimes see (from the outside) an OCW unit that had its own look, but it wasn't part of the rental pool.

Seems like we had the same decor (different units) twice, and another one once.

Anyway, we had the rental policy explained to us at the real estate sales office when we first visited in 1999. If it's changed since then, I'm just not aware.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions about requesting a specific unit at OCW...

Your flight may get in at 1 pm on Saturday; I wouldn't count on a speedy trip through customs. My meet and greet on Saturday arrived at 2:30 pm--there were three planes on the ground. We left the airport at 4:46 and didn't clear Hertz until 5:30.

Do you have strollers for the little ones? If you get hung up in line you may want to have a way for them to sit.

7. Re: A few questions about requesting a specific unit at OCW...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, August 30, 2009