We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money do I need to bring!

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, KY
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How much money do I need to bring!

Okay, we have decided on The Palms for our getaway. Now I need to know how much money I need to bring.

I plan on going to IGA for a few snacks, beer, and maybe some liquior, but I don't plan on cooking. Afterall, this is my vacation.

I know the breakfasts are included at the Palm. For lunch we are okay with something casual, but for dinner I like to have a nice meals. Also, we would like to do some activities such as parasailing (is it available at Grace Bay?), and excursion or two and possiblily a couples massage.

Also, what excursions would you recommend and do we go about booking excursions?

Thank you for your help :)!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money do I need to bring!

The amount of money depends on your credit card limit. <smile>

Yes, there is parasailing and everything you mentioned takes a credit card.

Some of the smaller "locals" eateries are still cash only.

Level Contributor
7,677 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money do I need to bring!

Lots....that said we used credit cards mostly as really restaurants were really expensive. Most cash was spent on taxis. IGA takes cards too. Would recommend J and B or other company doing island cruise and be sure to see the smaller cays (island cruise does this) as they are so remote and unspoiled...when you return to Grace Bay it seems like a metropolis! Have fun.

London, KY
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money do I need to bring!

Can we be a little more specific: What is the cost of an average dinner, casual lunch, parasailing and excursions. Also, what is the cost of most mixed drinks and beers?

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money do I need to bring!

A great dining guide to many of the restaurants with prices.

wherewhenhow.tc/providencialesdiningguide/20…

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money do I need to bring!

An excursion company (with prices) that gets great reviews..

www.caicosdreamtours.com

I think that Para-sailing is about $70 for solo rides?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much money do I need to bring!

Not trying to sound coy -- your questions are just impossible to answer. There really is no "average."

Average dinner and lunch where? There are many, many restaurants on Provo (e.g., You can spend $15 pp at The Tiki Hut "Chicken or Ribs Night", or $150 pp for fine dining and wine -- same night, different restaurants).

Seems like parasailing was around $50 - 60 pp a few years ago. Excursions can run from $50 -- 200 pp, depending on which one you choose.

Take a look at www.wherewhenhow.com. It's a great website and magazine that provides links to restaurants, tour companies, etc. That may be your best resource for getting a feel for the kinds of dining and activities you'd enjoy, along with the costs.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much money do I need to bring!

maybe you could do a search thru some past postings...it not an uncommon topic...but hard to pinpoint an average...

the palms is more upscale and pricey than a lot of places...i think i've read about $12 frozen drinks there and $20 hamburgers.....

ocw drink prices from the bar were about $7-$9 for frozen mixed drinks and $4-5 or $6 for beer i think...and burgers around $10...

case of corona at iga was $44...that equals less than $2 each...that works for me...

this is a very variable topic that maybe you could refine by searching posts and going to the wherewhenhow website offered...

Level Contributor
7,677 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much money do I need to bring!

To be more specific if you do not have a car you will be limited to those restaurants that you can walk to and they are pretty much found in the hotels along the strip. They are some of the more expensive ones and my experience with Paralell 23 at the Palms starters 9-15$$,entrees 30-40$,deserts 11-12$ glass of wine 12-15 etc. we did not have bottles of wine so don't know about that...no dinner bill ever under $100 and usually more like $150-170 and we are pretty conservative in terms of courses etc. There are a couple of more casual for dinner down the road at Salt Mill etc. but the casual ones are still close to $100 unless really watching what you order. With a car probably more less expensive choices. Lunches along the beach i.e. pool bars, Bay Bistro or Hemingways about $40 for two again not beer etc. We paid $160 for 2 on the 1/2 beach tour with J and B. Massage and Spa treatments at the Palms were nice but the most expensive ones I have had i.e. $130 massage for 60 minutes and then add a mantatory 18% tip...few services were much less. It seems they have a number of packages that people were on that might respresent a savings on spa treatments if you are planning quite a few...I would check it out. Hope that info helps.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How much money do I need to bring!

Hi,

We just came back a week ago.

We went to IGA for snacks, cold meat for sandwichs ,beer (Turks Head-$12) wine ($14),T&C roasted coffee (10 oz $13). All trogether our bill was $110. Paid cash

Meals ( paid by Master Card) were from $100 to $150, for 2 people.

Cabs were $8...$12.00 plus tips.

Parasailing was $75 plus $20 for me who only went along for the ride.

Tipping the beach person, bag person, cab drivers, housekeeping took up quite a bit of cash. Also food at the airports.

We try to take as little cash as possible for the obvious reason and used credit when we could. I wish we had known that the IGA took credit. We took about $ 400 cash and that worked out fine. Of course there is always an ATM.

Hope this helps!

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much money do I need to bring!

We just got back this week and used most of our cash. We took about $500 and used most on tips, drinks and cabs. We stayed at Coral Gardens and found that for us, most cab rides were around $10-$12 + tip. We rented a car for a day at about $50 (highly recommend!).

We also did the sunset catamaran/snorkle with Sail Provo for $63/ea. They even pick you up and drop you at your resort which is great because the Leeward Marina is a bit further out.

As for food, we used a Visa and had no problems...most dinners were between $100-$200 for 2. We also hit the IGA for sandwich stuff, fruit for snacks, and alcohol. We probably spent about $80 -- we found it fairly comparable to Boston prices.

We did find touristy gifts a little pricey - we each got cotton t-shirts for $25/ea. A golf shirt at the golf course was $80.