We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I like any other Caribbean Island or back to Provo?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
190 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Will I like any other Caribbean Island or back to Provo?

We spent a week in Provo last June are trying to decide to return this year or try somewhere new. Will I be disappointed on a different island? Can anything top Provo? We've been on day trips to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, St Thomas, St Martin, Mexico...

Here's what we liked about Provo in no particular order: We felt safe - No "beach peddlers" like Mexico or Jamaica - Snorkeling - Good food - No waves at the beach !!!

Here's what we could have used a little more of, but not necessary - little more shopping for the wife - little more Caribbean music playing somewhere / little more party atmosphere at times (maybe we didn't go to the right places) - few more things to see on the island.

We are a couple in our mid 30s and will be bringing our 8 yr old daughter... and grandma too.

Any suggestions ?

Toronto
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I like any other Caribbean Island or back to Provo?

Cessna210,

I've been to Anguilla, Provo, Grand Cayman, St. Martin, Torotola, Antigua, Cozumel, Jamaica & St. Kitts.

For me Provo and Anguilla are the best of the best. With an 8 year old, I would choose Provo hands down.

But here are my thoughts based on your comments.

Snorkeling- much better in Provo

Shopping- Anguilla- you can take the ferry and shop your heart out in St. Martin. Personally I don't care for St. Martin, but the shopping is good.

Safety- both Anguilla and Provo are very safe islands

Food- great on both islands, I prefer Provo for variety

Waves- you can always find a calm beach on either island

Caribbean vibe- Anguilla

Party Atmosphere- both are quieter islands. I'm in my early 30's, as well. I think you can find more of a party atmosphere on Provo.

Thursday nights there is live music at Sharkbites in Turtle Cove, Hemmingway's on Grace Bay is supposed to have live music Tuesday and Thursday nights- didn't while I was there. Oh, I almost forgot you can buy an evening pass for Club Med, if that is your thing. I walked by the beach and most people looked like they were in their mid-30's. You will find a party atmosphere there. Blue Hills, Da Conch Shack and Horse Eyed Jacks next door, for a Caribbean Vibe.

If you decide on Provo, I can put you in touch with a friend who has a concierge business on the island, (also in her 30's). She can point you in the right direction for nightlife.

Good Luck & Hope this helps!

new york
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I like any other Caribbean Island or back to Provo?

Our family loved Provo, but I am the type of travler who does not repeat because there is so much to be seen. We also loved St. Croix, has all the quailities you are looking for. Snorkeling was great especially Buck Island, lots of history there so much to see and do, sugar cane plantations, rainforest. Beaches not like Grace Bay but beautiful in there own way. We rented a villa so can't help you with a resort. No pedlers, felt very safe, many shops to explore two main towns very cute and clean good caribean feel. We loved it my oldest was 8 at the time. Rent a car there is much to see and do.

Have a great trip where ever you go.

Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I like any other Caribbean Island or back to Provo?

You should definately consider Anguilla. Fabulous beaches and great restaurants, some fun beach bars.

washington DC
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I like any other Caribbean Island or back to Provo?

We went to Aruba last summer and will be visiting Provo this summer. The beaches and snorkeling in Aruba are excellent as well as the restaurants. The beaches in Provo look very similar to Aruba with the white fluffy sand that never gets hot.

Aruba is a very arid climate with a lot of cactus and iguanas running around. Your 8 year old might like looking at them, as they are harmless and just sit frozen then scoot away. The downtown area has a lot of designer shopping but the prices are not great.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I like any other Caribbean Island or back to Provo?

Try Anguilla. We went there last June and loved it. Because of the similarities, we are trying Provo in April.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,442 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I like any other Caribbean Island or back to Provo?

I was going to recommend Anguilla, but with an 8 year old, I really think you should go back to Provo. Aruba is a fun place to go, but the beaches definately don't compare! If you want something new, with a more Caribbean vibe, more shopping, a little more nightlife, check out St. John. (completely different from St. Thomas.) Another thing that makes it great is easy island hopping for excursions-especially to Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke.

I do think the kids friendliest islan in Caribbean though is T&C. (Provo.)

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will I like any other Caribbean Island or back to Provo?

We enjoyed St. Martin. Stayed on the Dutch side, rented a car and visited the French side, took a ferry to other islands, lots of shopping.

However we are going to Provo for he first tie next week. Any suggestions?

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will I like any other Caribbean Island or back to Provo?

We enjoyed St. Martin. Stayed on the Dutch side, rented a car and visited the French side, took a ferry to other islands, lots of shopping. Great beaches on the Dutch side. Good food!

However we are going to Provo for the first the next week. Any suggestions?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
190 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will I like any other Caribbean Island or back to Provo?

Thanks everyone for all of the input. I think a return trip to Provo sounds like the winner this year.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
742 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will I like any other Caribbean Island or back to Provo?

Don't know if you already decided but Anguilla is such a great place. There are some resorts there that have more children too (like CuisinArt.) We loved Anguilla- would be a nice change and would offer you the Caribbean feel and the variety through going to St Martin for a day trip.