We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Caicos Travel advice

Which Whitby hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Schenectady, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
North Caicos Travel advice

My husband and I are traveling to North Caicos for 10 days in October for our anniversary. I would love any advice from those who have been there! I was wondering if we should fly from Provo or take the boat over so we can stop at the IGA? We are staying at the Hollywood Beach Suites. How are the local restaurants, grocery stores, etc. . . Should we plan on renting a car or scooter, the suites provides bikes would that be enough to explore?

Thanks for your help!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Caicos Travel advice

We just got back from a trip to Provo. The IGA is fully stocked like the ones here. I can't answer your questions but I looked at the Hollywood website and it looks wonderful. I'd be interested in hearing your experiences when you get back as there is not much info to be had on the place. Have a great time!

Round Rock Texas
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North Caicos Travel advice

Taking a break from the daily grind to see what was going on in T&C. We spent 10 days on Whitby at Datai. The grocery stores are small. One of the things we decided upon for our return trips (we are going back) was to take the boat. We are going to bring several insulated bags (they fold to nothing) and put some fresh produce and some steaks in there). The plane ride over is fast and the islands from the air interesting. You can ask your host about local fishermen, and arange for some really fresh fish. There were two restaurants that we visited.

Food variety did not seem that important with a cool drink, and the water in front of us. If we can help in any way please let us know.

Schenectady, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Caicos Travel advice

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I think we will take the boat over. I heard that the selection of fresh produce isn't that great on North Caicos, so we will plan on picking some up at the IGA. How did you get around the island? Did you rent a car? We are so looking forward to our trip-I love how everyone looks at us funny whenever we tell them where we are going (never heard of it).

Round Rock Texas
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North Caicos Travel advice

We rented a car for two days. visited the other two settlements (besides Whitby). Scooters would be better then a car, the roads are pretty rough in some spots. With the new resorts going up the roads are going to improve. Driving on the right side of the road was interesting. We spent most of our time walking and snorkling the shores. Try to go to Three Mary's Cay. The local restaurant Titters had good food, but I'm glad we couldn't see the kitchen. The restaurant on Whitby The Silver Palms (think that's the right name) is run by a lady named Karen, who also runs condo units. It's a small island and everyone knows everyone. We did most of our cooking and just enjoyed the water, the beach and each other. There is a small local bar, restaurant motel on the corner before you get to Whitby, the young man who owns it is a cheft and also where we got our liqor. If you can get some Middle Caicos grits do so there great. The gentleman who owns Datai lives down the beach, his name is Jean Louie Renard. Your host will be a wealth of information. Go to Middle Caicos to see the caves. We love North Caicos and keep an eye on property, but the prices are sky high. We did a web page on our trip I'll send you the info. The island was beautiful, hope all the new buildings respect that.

Schenectady, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Caicos Travel advice

I've looked at your website many times!!! :-) We are also planning on cooking ourselves, plus our host will cook for us if we want! We are looking forward to the solitude. We went to Aruba for our Honeymoon, and we said for our 10 year we would go someplace completely different. Thanks again for all of your information. I am counting the days. . .

Round Rock Texas
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: North Caicos Travel advice

Glad you found the sight you'll have your own off season dream. The water is so perfect. We truly miss it, and so want to go back, but reality first. We found such beautiful shells and coral on the beach. Having coffee overlooking the ocean each morning was truly special. Sun screen, insect spray and bathing suits with cover up (hats) are really the only necessary items.

Schenectady, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Caicos Travel advice

OK, more questions. I read a lot of people bring snacks, coffee, etc. . . when they travel to T&C. What did you bring for your first trip? Do you think you packed too much or too little (clothes, etc. . .) Since we are not planning on going out alot we are trying to keep it to carry on luggage only. We do have a washer and dryer, but I plan on being in bathing suits and shorts most of the time. Did you pick up liquor Duty free? Or just wait until you got to North Caicos. What about phone service? We are leaving three small children home with Grandparents so we will want to check in. I think we can rent a cell phone and get a phone card at the grocery store. How did you get to Middle Caicos, did a tour group from Provo come pick you up? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to be prepared!!

Round Rock Texas
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: North Caicos Travel advice

Hello, we really did not pack much food, tea bags (left in original unwrapped seals and some energy bars. We had a bag for our snorkle gear, kept it with us all the time. Two other bags, all carry ons. Brought too much, even though we had nothing but casual stuff, still toooo much. The clothes you fly in should be the ones you leave in. Some kind ofcasual (real casual) to go anywhere in, and then your basic swinsuits and cover ups. We stayed in them all the while except for the trip to Middle Caicos and eating out. Water shoes are a must and if you go to Middle Caicos sneakers. Your host proberely has a local group they like to work with. Last year Middle Caicos was alot more deserterd then North. But again I heard that things are changing. We got our iquor at the little bar/restaurant on the corner before Whitby. the name is Mc Gregore or something Mc. He had a good supply in a little locked up back room. Again email Hollywood and enquire. There were two other liquor stores but we enjoyed this young man so much. On friday nights the ex patriots all meet there for a few drinks and food. We went the Friday before we left and had a very nice time. Again check around, things do not change on the island as a rule, but big money has now found the Caicos. I would get anything I deamed pershiable at the Iga and anything that interest you, and buy the rest at North Caicos. Island life is a little more expensive that the states, but then every thing is imported. After we got to Datai and settled in we then got a taxi and went grocery shopping. Only had to go back once for milk etc. We're really excited for you, enjoy- and anything we can do just ask.

Round Rock Texas
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: North Caicos Travel advice

Hello, sorry I didn't mention phones, so you can tell the children how beautiful the water is. We used our credit card had no trouble. Take extra cash cause almost everything on North Caicos (food-liquor-gas) is cash. Their not big enough for crdit cards (yet).

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: North Caicos Travel advice

Hi Shellgogo,

I would love to hear how beautiful your trip was!!! I'm going with some friends in the spring, staying at HBS, and would love to know your thoughts. Was there something you would have done differently, gone to see? How is the HBS? How did you travel from Provo, ferry or plane?

Would love to hear how things went. ;-)