We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new visitors information center

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
81 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
new visitors information center

Is the new Visitors cener open yet? What information do they have and what are the hours

9 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new visitors information center

Where did you hear about a visitors center? I haven't.

You can stop at the offices of Where When How magazine, they are joined with Depart of Tourism, and a great source of the islands.

www.wherewhenhow.com

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new visitors information center

sorry, I see you're talking about Grand Turk. There's a small visitors center in the middle of the cruise port, basically a walk up window.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
81 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new visitors information center

No I am sorry but down town La Romana a new visitors information building was just built what do you know about it, and if I am wrong and it is Grand Turk what do you know of it? But I do know it is brand new and down town...

Edited: 1:36 pm, April 18, 2012
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new visitors information center

La Romana is in DR, wrong country

Cockburn Town...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: new visitors information center

Hi NJ

You're correct in your information, there is a newly built visitors center in the center of Cockburn Town, here on Grand Turk., Turks & Caicos Islands.

We 'on island' are referring to it as the 'Welcome Center'. From my recent communications with the Carnival Management of the cruise center, they are still vetting tenants who are interested in opening up business there. They are scheduled to have everyone in-place for the beginning of next high season. Currently there is a well known Caribbean jewelry company and a very reputable local ice-cream/coffee shop who have confirmed stores. The Welcome Center is situated in the center of the Historic District of Cockburn Town with local businesses situated close by. Don't expect a 'typical' Caribbean town center, we are still old world Caribbean with a huge amount of history for people to explore.

Hopefully we can show you some real Caribbean hospitality when you find your way to our island.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: new visitors information center

GDTC, years ago (before cruise ships), there was a very small visitors center in Cockburn Town that basically handed out walking tour maps. Is this the same location?

Cockburn Town...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: new visitors information center

Hi Caribdesi

No, definitely not the same place, though it is only steps from the place you are thinking of.

It is a newly built location next to the 'old' Scotiabank, it was originally a holding location for the salt piles before they were bagged and sent off to the new world.

Smithtown
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: new visitors information center

The New Welcome Center is about 23000 ft; sq of air conditioned buildings located at the corner of Front and Market Streets, next to the old Scotia Bank building , across the street from Arawak House and just east of the town pier. Kitty corner from the old Tourist Board building They have been building it since July of 2011 and it's ready but does not have tenants as yet. Should be open soon I would think.

Smithtown
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: new visitors information center

CaribDesi, You have it right. Diagonally across the street from where the old Tourist Board was located. If you stood in the old Tourist Board door and looked South East you would have been looking at an open lot with the Scotia Bank to the South and a Liquor store (with the wooden Pirate) and a pink law office (Arawak House) on the North of the empty lot. This empty lot is where the new Carnival Welcome Center is located.

Edited: 9:06 am, April 28, 2012
Reply to: new visitors information center
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cockburn Town