We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gluten-free Turks and Caicos

Which Grand Turk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
e b
Brooklyn, New York
12 posts
Save Topic
gluten-free Turks and Caicos

I'm headed to Grand Turk for a week and am looking for tips for our stay. (I have celiac.) I looked through responses on an old thread on this topic, but now I'm wondering if anyone has more specifics -- tips on local dishes that are gluten-free, if anyone knows if BBQ on Turks and Caicos tends to be GF, or if there's a local bread made out of corn not wheat, etc. I know the higher-end places are more likely to be able to accommodate me, but I like more low-key places.

Also, we'll be traveling with a 2-year-old, so if you have any general tips, too, for where to go or not to go, I'd love to hear all about them.

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gluten-free Turks and Caicos

Just out of curiosity, why did you pick Grand Turk over Provo?

Provo can accommodate allergies, tough appetites, etc, Grand Turk is of the beaten path and much harder to do.

The highest end places are still casual. You can request foods done a certain way by chefs. (for example, simply grilled fish, etc)

While I'm not 100% sure, I can only assume BBQ will not be gluten free. You can find some at supermarket on Provo, so maybe stock up there before heading over?

Again, if you have allergies, Provo is where you want to be.

e b
Brooklyn, New York
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: gluten-free Turks and Caicos

Thanks, Blamona! I'm definitely planning to stock up and make some of my own meals. From digging around online, it looks as if most places have sides of either peas & rice, potatoes, or corn. If this is true, then I should be able to cobble a meal together just about anywhere.

If anyone else has tips about eating in Grand Turk or local dishes that are naturally gluten-free, I'd be delighted.

For BBQ (or jerk sauce, for that matter), recipes vary by geography -- some are g-free, some not. So if anyone cooks Turks and Caicos style and can shed some light, it's wheat, rye and barley I have to avoid. Corn, rice and potatoes are all fine.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gluten-free Turks and Caicos

Again, why pick GT over Provo?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gluten-free Turks and Caicos

Will you be spending a night on Provo before heading to Grand Turk?

If so, IGA Gourmet has some great GF breads etc in stock. They actually carry my favorite- Udi's. They had in stock Udi's bread, hamburger buns, hot dog buns and bagels. I had packed my own from home, but won't need to from now on now that I know what brands they carry.

I can't comment on GT, but I found that the restaurants on Provo were more than willing to accommodate my dietary needs. Never had any issues, but I do tend to order lobster just about every time I dine out !

Enjoy Grand Turk......it's on my wish list for our next trip to Provo!

United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: gluten-free Turks and Caicos

Hi e b – I don't know about Grand Turk but the local IGA in Provo has selections of gluten free labeled foods along with great fresh whole food options.

Also as I see you are in Brooklyn – if you are flying JetBlue out of JFK the JetBlue terminal snack bar has dedicated gluten free options such as gf oatmeal, chips and such.

It's all a matter of what you know you can have and can't. I have a gluten intolerance and had no issues during my two week visit.

Smithtown
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: gluten-free Turks and Caicos

Food choices are very limited on GT. You will not find any GF bread anywhere on GT but the Island fare is usually fish or meat (usually definable) with peas an rice. Osprey (talk to Anna Mae), Salt Raker (talk to Erika), Bohio (talk to Jorika) should all be able to help you out. Supplies in GT are very limited. It's the kind of Island you can go to 5 stores and not find a tomato for $5. Veggies/produce can be had on Monday late or Tuesday early at Cee's. Or Friday and Sunday at E & J or the Dominican Store. You will definitely not find a large American style grocery store here. Dodo's ribcage does great ribs and chicken on Friday and Saturday but he uses a bottled sauce that does have Gluten. But he usually can do ribs or chicken without sauce if you ask ahead. Fish market is a great place to buy fish fillets and lobster or conch. I'd be happy to elaborate if you would like to contact me, feel free.

Smithtown
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: gluten-free Turks and Caicos

Correction to my post.

Cee's has a small section of gluten free pasta, crackers, cookies, chips and packet mixes to make your own bread and cookies. Shows you how much attention I pay in the store.

Grand Turk
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: gluten-free Turks and Caicos

I dont who keeps telling you Provo is better than Grand Turk. We have a supermarket here with a section just for gluten free products. Any restaurant here would try and help you with your diet.

Smithtown
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: gluten-free Turks and Caicos

Destination experts are the backbone of the TripAdvisor community. They are regular contributors who exemplify the best of our forums, giving helpful, friendly advice and welcoming new members. They are passionate about the destinations they represent. Whether resident locals or frequent visitors, they have up-to-date knowledge of what's going on in their destinations.

e b
Brooklyn, New York
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: gluten-free Turks and Caicos

Thanks to everyone who took the time to share tips (keep 'em coming)! Knowing these kinds of basics -- when and where to buy stuff -- means there's less to worry about and more time to relax and enjoy!

I'd love any other tips folks have generally about being in Cockburn (with a 2 year old).

Can anyone tell me what to expect for Junkanoo in Cockburn (at the Osprey)?

Can I buy diapers easily?

Blamona, since you asked twice: we'd hoped to build a couple Provo days into our trip but booked last-minute and couldn't afford to. But there's nothing about this trip that's disappointing for me -- I actually like the idea of being further off the beaten path with fewer amenities, staying on the beach, being in the historic but sleepy (?) capital, running into wild horses and donkeys, eating rice and beans with fresh fish everyday. Plus, my daughter will get her own seat, and that means we can pack her bag full of food for the family!