We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

offshore fishing

Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Topic
offshore fishing

My husband and I will be going to Grand Turk March 22nd thru March 26th. We are interested in a fishing charter. Anyone know of anything available there. We can't seem to find much about fishing in Grand Turk.

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: offshore fishing

Try Salt Cay tours. They have a lot to do with both Salt Cay and Grand Turk. And I know they organize fishing trips.

www.saltcaytours.com

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: offshore fishing

Bohioresort.com does fishing charters (twin hull 36"). Had a fantastic few hrs with them once, and another not so successful outing. They have a 'Pit Party' on Thursdays and like to have fresh catch for that. Otherwise the boat's priority is for any dive groups, which are typically 9am-2pm, and then available in the afternoon for side trips to other islands (eg. Gibbs Cay to swim with and feed stingrays).

They are small outfit and generally able to cater for whatever people want to do - diving, side trips, fishing.

Sherman Ct.
Level Contributor
560 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: offshore fishing

I am an avid fisherman and have fished all

over the Carib. My suggestion is to find a

reputable guide. Forget the diving companies

just because they have boats doesn't mean they

can put you on fish. You need someone who makes their living doing this. Questions you may want to ask. Will they provide recent references? What type of boat(s)is it?

Can they accomadate both shallow and deep water fishing? Does the boat have a livewell?

If you go and catch livebait is that considered part of your alloted time on the charter? ( A good Captain will have spoken to you about this before hand)If you don't use livebait where and what is the bait used?

Will the Captain be fishing as well? Can you take your catch with you ( many places do not

allow this). Do they provide the equipment and

if so what type of rods, reels do they have.

Do they clean the fish for you? Is there shade

and refreshments on board? If you are going on

a larger boat are split charters allowed? If

so how many people are allowed on the boat at once? Is there a mate? What is the tipping practice? Are there coolers with ice to keep

your catch fresh? What type of safety equipment is on board? All of the above is

reasonable but not necessarily applicable

depending on the type of fishing you are doing. About 10 years ago I spent a number of

days with Goo (since passed away) fishing on S. Caicos and he knew where the fish were

as he grew up there and fished all his life

in those waters. Anyway best of luck, I too

am looking for a guide for my N. Caicos trip

in early March.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: offshore fishing

My husband went out with a man on the island called Dutchie, he has a car rental business and maybe a auto shop too not sure. He had a junkie old boat but he and his friend really knew where all the good fishing was.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: offshore fishing

If you are adventurous you can try Dutchie. He has a car rental and an auto shop on Grand Turk. My husband and 17 year old son hired him to take them out. It was an old boat, my husband said he was worried it would sink, but Dutchie and his friend knew where all the fish were, they had and interesting experience and caught loads of fish.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: offshore fishing

sorry didn't realise I posted twice.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Turk