We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in the Turks and Caicos

Porter, Indiana
Level Contributor
8 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Crime in the Turks and Caicos

During our stay at a private home on Provodenciales during the Christmas season, we were burglarized once during the day on the Sunday before Christmas and averted a home invasion on Christmas night when intruders attempted to break in at 10:25 at night. During this same period, scores of homes were broken into, beach bags were stolen from the beach, pet watch dogs were poisoned prior to burglaries, a person was shot, and another was stabbed on this tiny island. Has anyone else had the same experience. We learned that this is the norm for the season. Burglaries and theft from unattended belongings on the beach or in cars is common year round but the Christmas season is special to thieves. Only a few visitors have been beaten and robbed so physical assault is not common. I want this to be a warning to everyone. I have visited the island frequently since the early 1980s but did not realize the Christmas problem or the worsening of crime over the years. If you go, be careful, do not bring anything you are not willing to lose, do not reveal your plans for the day or night, be careful with whom you associate. There are many good people in the islands and I will continue to visit but with a great more care for the well being of my family, friends, and belongings.

Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in the Turks and Caicos

Can you please let us know the area in which you were staying? Were the reports all within that area or island-wide?

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos, Grace Bay, Grand Turk
Level Contributor
12,410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in the Turks and Caicos

With the many regulars on this forum on the Island during this time; they would have mentioned a major occurrence of this magnitude. Over 40 homes, 2 persons attacked & wounded, dogs poisoned, etc? Would have made the news. This is not a common event on Provo. DR. JIM

Porter, Indiana
Level Contributor
8 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in the Turks and Caicos

They do not report these crimes in the local news. But it is common knowledge on the island.

Porter, Indiana
Level Contributor
8 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in the Turks and Caicos

We were staying in a private home in the Turtle Cove area. The home below us was entered twice during our stay. A friend's home was ransacked and robbed the same night as us. The owner of a local business that we know was robbed the same night as us. All the others were at different sites on the island. It took over 2 hours for the police to respond to us because of the heavy case load that day alone. The dog that was killed was on North Caicos. The owners had talked to us earlier in the day about the condition of the dog shortly after it was poisoned. They were burglarized when they went out to dinner that night.

Mentioned in this post
Turtle Cove
Turtle Cove
Providenciales
North Caicos
North Caicos
Turks and Caicos
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in the Turks and Caicos

I'm so sorry that all of this happened to you and everyone down there, Larry. It definitely would have unnerved me for the remainder of my vacation.

Porter, Indiana
Level Contributor
8 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime in the Turks and Caicos

Thank you MyLinda. It was very traumatic but we received great support from our many friends on the island. That helped a lot!

Porter, Indiana
Level Contributor
8 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime in the Turks and Caicos

I should have added that it was the police who gave us the break in figures and information about Christmas crime. I did not make it up and it is not just gossip. It is not an island to avoid, just one to take extra care. I had a far worse experience in London. I will never go there again.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime in the Turks and Caicos

OMG. My family and I were renting a villa in the Turtle Cove area over Christmas week! We had no idea that this had happened. The house did have a home security system which we engaged when we left for dinner but we did not use it overnight because we left some windows open for the breeze. I am so very sorry for your experience. I will mention that when my brother and his family took a cab from the airport to the villa that a strange man jumped in the taxi and rode with them to the villa. We thought it odd but the taxi driver allowed it. We were concerned but also hyper-vigilant from then on and my brother made a point of keeping a watchful eye on the property throughout our stay there. I decided that when I go back that I will stay at a resort just to feel more secure.

Mentioned in this post
Turtle Cove
Turtle Cove
Providenciales
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime in the Turks and Caicos

I'm very sorry this happened to you. No one on this board should question the validity of you experience. Thank you for sharing.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime in the Turks and Caicos

So sorry this happened to you on what should have been a relaxing vacation. There is always an element anywhere you go that are out to ruin it for others. So sad.

Hopefully with the new Police Chief coming in to run things in the spring things will change. Hopefully.