We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hydroponics Farm on Provo with video

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Hydroponics Farm on Provo with video

If you're looking for really fresh vegetables and something off the beaten path to experience, you might want to try and find the hydroponics farm in Provo. We picked 6lbs of tomatoes, cucumbers, and basil for about $30 there. It was great to pick them at varying ripeness so they lasted our week trip on North. Bring a bag, or the guy there just gave us a shopping bag, and then you're allowed to roam free and pick what you'd like.

They don't get many visitors, and this is not the place to bring kids who may destroy a farmer's crops, but it's a very interesting place to understand how to grow vegetables on an island with poor soil. I personally grow hydroponic tomatoes in my laundry room in Chicago in the winter, so it was a treat for me to see a bigger operation.

I took a short video clip -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu5ZOl487lg

Here is where it is on Google maps, and it's not easy to find -

http://goo.gl/maps/snUqe

Head toward South Dock on South Dock Road, go all the way down South Dock Road until almost the end. You'll see a gas station called Caicos Oil. It's two roads before the gas station on your left (you'll probably end up at the gas station, then turn around and count the road right next to it, and one more back.) It's a dirt road, go down the road until it ends, turn right. Go down that road and make the first and only left. Drive up and make the first left through a gate, drive past what looks like a bunch of storage garages, and you'll see an opening in the fence at the end of them on your left.

It was great to be able to pick and eat fresh veggies in the dead of winter!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hydroponics Farm on Provo with video

Thanks for this info and video....I had no idea. I knew you could get fresh veggies at the farm on North but wasn't aware of this one.

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hydroponics Farm on Provo with video

Last time I tried the farm on North I was highly disappointed. They didn't have much to sell and what they had looked pretty bad. I forget when I went, maybe it was just the wrong time of year. Or maybe I'm just use to the huge farms they have out here in the midwest. Either way, the tomatoes at the hydro farm were delicious!

Texas
Level Contributor
615 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hydroponics Farm on Provo with video

Thank you for the review and the map! I have friends that have gone, but had yet to understand exactly where it was!

4. Re: Hydroponics Farm on Provo with video

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 29, 2015