We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island should we pick?

daisytown
Level Contributor
685 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which island should we pick?

I am looking into T &C islands for a future trip. We would like to rent a house on a quiet stretch of beach, with good snorkeling. Night life , or shopping not important. Would like a few restaurant choices. Our budget would be $5500 off season , June travel. Is it easy to travel between the islands by ferry.

Nancy

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
765 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island should we pick?

You'll likely want to start with Providenciales entirely, or split between Provo and a smaller island like North Caicos, Grand Turk, Parrot Cay, Salt Cay, Middle Caicos. Start looking at those destinations so that you can narrow down your choices.

Check out www.tciferry.com for ferry info between North Caicos and Provo, and South Caicos and Provo. Other islands require flights (although you can drive from North Caicos to Middle Caicos.)

There are plenty of rental choices on Provo. You can rent private homes on the other islands as well, while Grand Turk, Salt Cay, North Caicos and Middle Caicos have beach hotels and beach cottages for rent (www.bhresort.com)

You may not have off the beach snorkeling at many locations, however. There are a few restaurant choices on the other islands mentioned, not as many as Provo, but you also have the option of cooking for yourself as well. Also, Blue Horizon Resort on Middle Caicos now has a restaurant on site.

Long Island
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island should we pick?

Travel between Provo / North, then middle is easy by ferry.

if you are on Grand Turk, South Caicos etc its a puddle jumper flight to anywhere.

Provo has two great off beach snorkelling areas so a villa on Smiths reef may suit you.

If you don't mind a drive to snorkel, eat out, then Taylor bay is ideal as a quiet beach location.

Maybe others could comment on Grand Turk, as that may suit also?

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos, Grace Bay, Grand Turk
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which island should we pick?

95%+ first time visitors usually comes to Provo. DR. JIM

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
466 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which island should we pick?

We had our first trip to TCI in October and stayed two nights in Provo and then the rest on Middle Caicos. Was really easy, if we could do it anyone can! It was my husband's first time out of the country and went smoothly. Did not regret at all spending the majority of our time on Middle, even being first timers, but everyone has different needs & wants. Middle is mostly self catering, there are a few restaurants on North you can drive to and a couple on Middle. If you just want lots of places to eat and guided excursions, shops and stores you should stay on Provo for your entire trip and take a day trip to North and Middle to check it out for your next trip. I'm sure there will be one.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
516 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which island should we pick?

North and Middle Caicos are great if you are planning on doing a whole lot of nothing. These really are very sleepy islands and those of us who stay on North/Middle love them that way. But its not for everyone and for some, its a bit boring.

Provo by comparison is the "big city"; lots of high end restaurants, bars, a fully stocked grocery store, liquor store, etc. There are also more activities available to you (parasailing, for example). I've never been to Grand Turk so I can't say much about it other than cruise ships occasionally stop there.

Getting to North is a short 1/2 ride on the Caribbean Cruisin ferry ($25 pp). From there you can rent a car and drive to Middle if that's your final destination. If you're unsure if North or Middle is too sleepy for you, you can always stay on Provo for the bulk of your trip and do a day trip or stay a couple nights on North/Middle.

daisytown
Level Contributor
685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which island should we pick?

How is the snorkeling on the Middle and North Caicos? I love to snorkle and plan my vacations on availability of off shore sites.

Nancy

New York
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which island should we pick?

I would recommend Providenciales.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
516 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which island should we pick?

Snorkeling on North is ok in a few spots, but generally nothing to write home about. TCI has the third longest barrier reef in the world, and on North its about 1 km out. Between the reef and the beach the water is relatively shallow (10 to 15 feet deep) and the bottom is mostly sandy with hills of sea grass. Not much coral to speak of.

You do see fish here and there but nothing spectacular. The go-to snorkeling place on North is 3 Mary Cays. Again, its ok but nothing that had me "oohing" and "aahing" like snorkeling in Eleuthera. Supposedly at the reef itself the snorkeling is quite good but I've never worked up the nerve to swim out that far.

You do see some cool things once and a while. A couple trips back we came across a huge spotted eagle ray. Last summer I found myself being followed by a school of bar jacks. But to be honest if snorkeling is an important part of your trip you will likely be disappointed with North unless you hire a belonger to take you out by boat.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
776 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which island should we pick?

Gotta tell you guys... LOVED reading this thread, some fantastic advice/comments from AmyCaicos, Husby-Amp, GSDrulez, and Iron_Ring - there are soooo many very cool experiences throughout the entire Turks & Caicos chain of Islands - keep spreading the good word guys

monroe township nj
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which island should we pick?

We just returned from our first trip to TCI and fell in love with the island and its people. We stayed in Provo in a villa near Turtle Cove. It is a nice quiet area with beautiful beach and snorkeling right outside your door! You can walk to 6 or 7 restaurants if you want to actually get up the gumption to leave your house.....but let me warn you......do not rent villa Bella Sur Mer.......they are doing construction next door (brand new house?) and we were not told ahead of time! Many others on that street (Coconut Road) check them out!