We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for Provo with small children

Ohio
Level Contributor
527 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for Provo with small children

This will be our 3rd trip to Provo, first with kids in February.

We are staying at West Bay Club and bringing my Mom for a set of extra hands. We NEVER check bags when going to the islands but think that it is going to be unavoidable this go around.

Both girls who will be 1.5 and 3.5 have flown numerous times but its usually to my parents house where there are plenty of kiddo essentials.

Has anyone used the cribs available at WBC? My younger daughter sleeps great in our own travel crib but I can't decide if it will be too much of a pain to bring.

Restaurant etiquette- are we okay with a 6:00 reservation?

I plan on bringing our double stroller for long beach walks.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for Provo with small children

DO NOT haul your own crib. Way too much of a hassle. Unless you have a stroller with wheels designed to work on sand, it likely won't. We took our first trip to Provo in 2006 when our kids were 1 and 4 and had a blast and go back every year as a fam (and also now try to go once a year at least without them too). You already had your best idea: bringing Grandma to help! We still do! The grocery stores are well equipped with most everything you need, bit I usually packed my own essentials like diapers, snack foods (had food allergic kids), etc. I cannot imagine doing a family trip anywhere without checking bags! Enjoy! Our next family trip, we will be staying at WBC.

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for Provo with small children

Stayed many times at WBC, not with children that young (ours are young 20's) however, have seen many younger children there and they are always having a blast. The beach guys will show them all the beach/sand toys, the pool has a large area that is shallow and the staff will be willing to help out and get you anything needed. I am sure that the cribs are fine, as are all the beds and bedding. I would not lug your crib.

A 6:00 reservation at the restaurants is a good idea, and the Atlantic Bar and Grill right at WBC is very accommodating to children.

Provisions are available before you arrive if that will make it easier for you.

Edited: 6:56 pm, November 12, 2012
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,781 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for Provo with small children

Double stroller won't work on the beach, but will on sidewalks if you go shopping.

Make sure to take the kids one day to Sapadilla Bay. They'll be giddy!

Ankle high water for hundreds of yards

They'll love you forever

Ohio
Level Contributor
527 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for Provo with small children

Great idea on Sapodilla Bay. We have not been there and it will be fun to throw that into the mix of our beach days.

That's good to know about the crib- I am such a germaphobe and there are certain things that I just need to let go!

I have not used our double on the beach but it is designed for sand and snow so I plan on putting it to the test. I am a major walker and one of our favorite things to do on Grace Bay is to beach walk.

Getting SO excited for our trip. My Mom has been to the Bahamas and Out Islands numerous times but my Dad's idea of a vacation is much more "rustic" so she is going to be in for a treat. February in Provo is going to be a great week for the girls compared to our blustery Ohio winter!

Edited: 9:03 pm, November 12, 2012
Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for Provo with small children

We have travelled to TCI the last 2 years with our boys (now ages 8, 6, and 2). Although we stayed in private villas, we rented a crib and just brought our umbrella stroller for the airport. We rented a car, so found that we didn't need a stroller while there. We always check bags with the kids, but found that we didn't need much for clothes (they tended to just wear swimsuits and shorts). So we would just wash clothes. Instead we used luggage for checking toys, diapers, and food. Although you can get most of everything on island, the prices are a bit steeper than in the US (especially for snack type foods). And the toys were just for when we were in the house -- although we did pack a few sand toys to keep them busy at the beach. Enjoy. We can't wait until February to return!

Springfield, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for Provo with small children

We've stayed at WBC the last 2 summers with our daughter. The first year we had a crib and it was a full size, very sturdy crib. Housekeeping brought it up shortly after we arrived and put fresh sheets on the mattress and moved it into the room we specified. This place is really great for kids- as mentioned before, the pool has a nice shallow end and really cool fountains shooting water into the pool. There are also more beach toys than you could possibly need. Having a full kitchen is so convenient when a little one wants macaroni and cheese at 3:00. I would suggest packing some snacks to bring with you as those items are the most expensive at the grocery store. I hope you have a wonderful time : )

Easthampton...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for Provo with small children

Definetly bring a cooler!! Something actable yet big enough for a day trip to the beach!

We are on Provo right now and finding outT&C may not be the best place for small kids unfortunately! 2 boys ages 2 and 4. Wishing I were in Aruba right now. Good luck!!

United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for Provo with small children

Take a walk down to Beaches Resort and do a day pass - it's a kids paradise there.

Ohio
Level Contributor
527 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for Provo with small children

50 waves, while I know a lot of people love beaches, simply walking by their beach front is too much for me!

Definitely going to stock up on their favorite snacks and bring a few staples with us.

10. Re: Tips for Provo with small children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 26, 2013