We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of Food

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Cost of Food

OK, all these posts about bringing your own food has me worried. I've never brought food on vacation before...never considered it. see a lot of posts about something being expensive or inexpensive but those terms are very different based on your budget and what you are use to paying. Can someone tell the prices of any of these various items so I can gauge if I think its expensive :) and figure out how much to budget

eggs dozen

milk gallon

loaf of bread

block of cheese

yogurt

lettuce

watermelon

12 pack beer

bottle of vodka (absolute or gray goose quality)

bottle of rum

diet coke (gotta have this!)

Thanks! We have a condo and will eat 2 meals a day there so I'm more concerned about groceries than restaurant meals

United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of Food

You just have to budget for high food prices into your vacation. I don't know exact prices but depending on what you are used to at home some said they are double.

I remember someone saying a cooked roasted chicken at home is 4.99 and in TCI it was $10 - expensive yes but you can get a few lunch meals out of it and it's cheaper over eating lunch out.

I'm going for a 2 week stay and only plan to eat out once a day. Personally, I prefer eating at smaller local spots over high end restaurants while on vacation but that's just me and has nothing to do with expense.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of Food

We also enjoy small local restaurants and will seek those out over the hotel/resort restaurants. I love street food--when we visited Indis I ate street food for lunch and dinner. Not only did I prefer it but it only cost me 1-2 dollars a day.

Anyone that has prices? We'd love your response too. "Expensive" and "high prices" are relative terms. We've already bought air and rental so just trying to figure out how much to budget.

United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of Food

This recent thread may give you a better idea:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147399-i213-k5798…

Providenciales
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of Food

there have been numerous postings of the prices of food at the supermarket. They can be found by using the search function on this forum

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of Food

Hi Sarah...this topic has been beaten to death here. I was also concerned and posted a similar topic before my first trip this past July . There are many reasonable places to dine out. If you have a kitchen....the grocery stores will be a bit more than home but negligible . Example. At home (Canada) a cooked BBQ chicken at IGA is about 7 dollars. In Provo maybe 9 dollars? IMHO the cost of food in TCI is really trumped way too much on these forums. Way more people asking about the prices than people reporting high prices.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of Food

CFSUN thank you. I agree there are a lot of posts, and Provo-Pete I searched before posting, but there seem to be very litle actual information or answers to the questions. The information about the chicken was useful, thank you

Lots of posts asking the question, and lots of responses such as I'm getting, but no answers!

I get a little peeved about responses that basically say "stupid post its already answered" if I had found my answer, I wouldn't post the question! I've been a very active trip advisor member for over six years (hundreds of posts, dozens of reviews etc) and alwasy search before posting. :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of Food

Here's the link to a blog that shows the menu from one of the new "local" restaurants. There are no $1 - 2 street vendors there. Hope this helps.

turksandcaicosreservations.tc/blog/…

Edited: 3:41 pm, October 16, 2012
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of Food

CaribDesi...I figured I wouldn't be eating the cheaply, just demonstrating I lilke local flavor and am not afraid to eat off the beaten path. :)

I appreciate the blog post....very useful!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of Food

This is a blog post that can be reached from the link 50Waves posted for you. You should be able to answer most of your food questions from this link, with credit given to the originator - Amy Caicos.

http://www.facebook.com/TurksandCaicosGuide#!/notes/amys-ultimate-guide-to-middle-caicos/grocery-and-goods-prices-july-2012/464705496884689

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of Food

Sarah if you mention where you are staying I know that you will get responses regarding good restaurants within walking distance.