We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering a trip just some questions.

Manila, Arkansas
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Considering a trip just some questions.

Well, my husband and I are in the begining stages of planning a trip. We want to visit the Carribbean. After staying in Aruba 2 years ago on Honeymoon, we are searching for the next island to explore.

Here are a few questions:

We are looking into the Club Med. After searching and reading about the resort, I've only heard good things. Would there be any reason to leave the resort? If so, how is the security off the resort grounds? How much do taxi's cost?

Those are just the first few questions I have right now. Thanks in advance for the help. I can't wait to see the beautiful beaches of Turks and Caicos!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering a trip just some questions.

T&C is extremely safe, all over the island.

Reason's to leave the grounds:

1. Chaulk Sound is a sight to see, the water is so turquoise, it glows!

2. Sapidilla Beach, (near Chaulk Sound) is a gorgeous little beach for a picnic.

3. Conch Farm can be interesting, close by is also a little mini golf.

4. The restuarants! I know you are going all inclusive, but the restaurants are some of the best in the Caribbean. (Only Anguilla beats it!)

5. Happy hours in "cool" places, like Tiki Hut, and beautiful sunsets from Hemmingways and Mangolia's.

6. 4x4 drive to Malcolm's beach, fun and another stunning beach.

7. Snorkeling off the beach in front of Coral Gardens, or at Smith Point in turtle Cove.

8. Club Med can arrange a 1/2 day or full day to other Cays, you HAVE to get out on that water. It's so stunning, and every beach is prettier than than last.

You can get taxi's, but they tend to be expensive. ($20 one way?) Gecko Shuttle can pick you up in front of Club Med, and take you to all places except Malcolms Beach, Sapadilla Bay, Chaulk Sound, Conch Farm and mini golf. Very economical way to travel around. (www.thegecko.tc)

Keep asking questions!!!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering a trip just some questions.

Hi SLPgrad,

I just returned home from Club Med and am single female. I left the resort (on my own) on a daily basis. I took the Gecko Shuttle, Taxi and walked. Club Med does not permit the Gecko van to drive past the front gate. Be forewarned it is a very long drive way about a 15 minute walk to the main gate. Taxis are permitted past the gate but are more expensive. It is an easy walk up the beach to Port of Calls and Salt Mill malls. The island is VERY safe, I was never approached by anyone either on the beach or in town to buy anything. Turks & Caicos has the lowest crime rate in the Caribbean and I found everyone to be very friendly. I would highly recommend you leave resort to do a bit of exploring. You can also rent a car for a day or two to do exploring on your own. There are many great restaurants on the island and by mid week you might want a change of food from Club Med. P.S. Turks & Caicos beaches are the best I've seen in the Caribbean!!! and I've been to 9 other islands!!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
698 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering a trip just some questions.

hicynthia:

You must know all abbout beautiful beaches. Nova Scotia has some dramatic coastline!!

Manila, Arkansas
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering a trip just some questions.

Thank you all for the great information. We will definately keep all suggestions in mind while planning our trip! It sounds like an awesome place. We will leave the resort after all these informative posts.

More questions to come later!