We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gecko shuttle

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gecko shuttle

Could someone explain the shuttle? Thanks

Turks and Caicos...
Level Contributor
3,262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gecko shuttle

The shuttle is a service for tourists and anyone else that cares to use it. It runs around a fixed route ( there are many buses)

You go to a point on that route which is identified by a red square with a gecko on it and wait for the next bus to come along. they are spaced about 30 mins. apart.

You can purchase tokens or passes at your hotel or in some of the shops.

You can hop on and off as much as you like. They have the map of the route at your hotel, in some shops and in the restaurants.

You can buy daily passes or up to 14 day passes. from $11-$55 per person

the route goes along the lower bight road to access all of the resorts , shops and restaurants. It used to go to IGA, but it looks like they have stopped that.

www.TheGecko.tc

Herndon, VA
Level Contributor
731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gecko shuttle

The Gecko is a small bus that holds about 20 people. I never saw more than about 10 on at any one time in April. Because of the poor roads, the shocks were shot and the ride can be bumpy at times. A 7 day pass is an inexpensive way to go to most of the resorts and restaurants on Grace Bay. It's a nice way to meet other people and, if asked, the drivers will tell you of interesting places to visit.

It stops at Coral Gardens so you can snorkel there without "lugging" your mask, fins, etc. down the beach if you're not staying at or close to CG.

Ed

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gecko shuttle

Kiddoc -the shuttle service kind of depends on when you are there. During slow season like right now it operates on an on call basis. So it really is like a very cheap taxi-you just call them when you are ready to picked up. They are currently using the baby geckos which are basically vans that hold 6-8 people. We loved the gecko as we ejoyed talking to the other travelers and it was an easy way to get to the IGA or to dinner. Some vans had AC some did not. I know during busy season it is suppose to run on a schedule. Great way to get around.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gecko shuttle

when we were there in april it was still a relatively new service...we found we waited only maybe 10 minutes any time we waited...took it to turtle cove for dinner...took it to coral gardens to snorkle several times saving us the walk all the way down there from ocw...which meant we were able to bring our cooler of drinks which made sitting in the sand at the reef a little more enjoyable...one day when we took the gecko to snorkle we decided we'd walk to the sands (about 20minutes) and have lunch at hemmingways and that was nice...but the sands gecko stop was where we waited the longest for the shuttle to arrive...i think like tracie said sometimes the staff at the desk can call them and let them know someone is waiting at their stop and the bus comes quicker...really though.. for them having just begun and still working out the kinks we thought the gecko was a great way to get around without spending a fortune...we got the 4 day pass for $33 each and used it to get everywhere...

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,553 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gecko shuttle

www.thegecko.tc

Wilmington...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gecko shuttle

Kiddoc,

The Gecko was great. My wife and I were in Provo two weeks ago. We bought the passes for the week( I think it was $33 each). We used the Gecko at least 3 times a day. We usually had the same same driver each day, Harrison. He gave us a ton of advice on everything about the island. It was the slow season while we were there, so there was never more than 4 people on the bus at a time.

If you want to know anything else, just ask.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gecko shuttle

Scbaman we had Harrison as a driver as well. Neat guy. He would actually turn around and come pick us up if he was close. I think it's the way to go!

Wilmington...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gecko shuttle

tracidee,

Yes, it is the way to go. Harrison did the same for us and waited for us while we shoped. Very nice guy.

Who did you end up diving with? I didn't see you on Caicos Adventures??

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gecko shuttle

Yes we dove with Caicos Adventures between 10/14 and 10/23-left a day early.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Gecko shuttle

Thanks, everyone!! Sounds like something we'll be using a lot.

Get answers to your questions about Turks and Caicos