We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip insurance

Bayville, New York
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip insurance

We are visiting Provo in October. I am considering buying trip insurance, just in case. I am a real optomist - but I figure better safe that sorry! Does anyone have any advice on how to get trip insurance and the approximate cost?

Just a little background - I don't use a travel agent. I've never used trip insurance before, don't know where to start and I don't want to get ripped off ... Thank you for any replies. - Jen

new york
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip insurance

I always get the travel insurance. It's usually not much more then $100. We use Travel Guard and find its easy to use you can buy it online, there many different options. Just make sure it has emergency medical travel coverage. It's peace of mind you hope its the only $100 bucks you waste while on vacation. We has friends who were on the last leg of a cruise when the husband had a stroke, it would have cost more then $30,000 to bring him home without the insurance. I never use a travel agent either, to many good deals to be had without.. Have a great trip!!

Bayville, New York
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip insurance

Snorkling - Thank you for the excellent reply - exactly the info I was looking for. I'll check it out. =)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip insurance

Beachbumjen.

Insuremytrip.com is a good website for on-line comparisons of travel insurance features and prices. You can purchase on-line there.

Price depends on a number of factors but primarily your trip cost. For a ballpark idea, I found that $1000 in coverage was about $50 and $2000 of coverage was about $80 - 90 depending on company.

I almost always get travel insurance, and the cost is worth it to me for the piece of mind. If you are buying it primarily for hurricane coverage, make sure to read the details to make sure that your policy provides the coverage you need.

Bayville, New York
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip insurance

Beachdreams2, thank you for your reply, very informative!

I will check that out as well. And yes, I am doing it primarily for hurricane reasons, so I appreciate you pointing out that I should make sure that it's covered.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip insurance

beachbumjen,

I usually don't get trip insurance but this up coming trip I got it. I used insuremytrip.com for comparisons and went with travelguard.

Good luck!

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip insurance

Ok - so here's my question regarding insurance:

I've checked with the airlines and in the event they can not fly due to a hurricane I will be given the option of rescheduling. I then checked with the manager of the villa I am staying at and was told that if there is a hurricane and my flight is canceled they will allow us to reschedule as well. Also, if we have to leave early due to a hurricane we will be given the option of a discounted rate if we decide to come back.

So my question is - do I REALLY need insurance? What else is the insurance used for?

Thank you!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip insurance

insuremytrip.com has been recommended by syndicated radio consumer advocate Clark Howard. He also once owned a travel agency.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
4,217 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip insurance

Buy the trip insurance. Vacation rentals in the states are usually subject to that state's real estate law. In North Carolina the funds areusually not available to the owner of the villas until just before the actual date of your stay.

Funds here on island are usually made available to the owner at the point the booking becomes nonrefundable (60 days prior to arrival date). We will refund past that date minus an administrative fee IF we are able to rent the villa for your booking dates. They will usually allow you to reschedule your booking, but keep in mind that you will be competing for dates with fresh money. Your money is long gone and owners are reluctant to turn away "paying" customers, leaving you a little like the Capital One black out dates commercial if you are trying to book dates in a busier season.

You are also at the whim of the owner. Hurricanes are usually a given but what if someother event occurrs in your life that interferes in your travel plans. Read your contract and go by what it says not what some representative tells you.

And finally, it cost me (or my very generous mother) 8000 dollar to have an air ambulance come to Grand Turk and pick up my new born son and take him to Miami. That was 20 years ago, so I know the cost could only have gone up.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip insurance

Great advice from Lobomago.

If you're paying with a credit card, check to see what may be covered, before buying duplicate insurance. For example our card covers emergency air medical evacuation, International auto rental insurance, life insurance, and other benefits.

new york
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip insurance

beachdream2,Thanks for the heads up on the comparison site, that good to know.

Caribdesi, What card do you use that covers med vac, thats a fantastic benifit, I'll have to check mine out closer. Great advise.

For the thousands you spend on vacation, really whats another $100 to be sure. It really is something you hope you never need.