We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Beach by Rex or Cocco Reef?

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle Beach by Rex or Cocco Reef?

Read most reviews about both resorts. Better scuba diving Cocco Reef. Better beach at Turtle Beach. Better price at Turtle Beach? Cocco Reef closer to Crown Point?

Essex
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle Beach by Rex or Cocco Reef?

These hotels are very different so it depends what you are looking for. I see you have stayed at the Rex Grenadian, although we would find it hard to choose a favourite between the Rex Turtle Beach and the Grenadian it has to be said that Turtle Beach is more basic than the Grenadian. The beach at Turtle Beach is lovely, dark sand and the sea has very strong riptides and currents so can be dangerous to swim in but the pool is gorgeous, probably one of the best on the island. The rooms are a good size and a little more basic than the Grenadians but all of them are directly on the beach. There is only one restaurant which we have always found to be good but I know others would share a diferent opinion. Overall we love the small friendly atmosphere and the location on the beach where the turtles nest cannot be beaten. We usually get a taxi to Crown Point or Pigeon Point several times which is fairly inexpensive. Coco Reef is closer to both these places and is more upmarket which i believe is reflected in the price. We have not stayed here but have several friends who have and their opinions are again quite mixed.

From our experience with Turtle Beach it appears to be a simple love it or hate it opinion, there is usually no inbetween and we love it!!

Hope this is of some help

Donna

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle Beach by Rex or Cocco Reef?

you can arrange scuba diving from anywhere on the island. Coco Beach is very close to Crown Pt...thus more to see and do. Coco Beach also has it's own private little beach and is very close to Store Bay Beach and Pidgeon Pt beach...both are very beautiful. Coco Beach is much newer and upscale, but also is more expensive. Turtle Beach is older, but quite nice regardless. Very nice pool and good location for viewing leatherback turtles laying eggs (if you go in season). Beach is huge and good for walking, but is not always easy to swim...again depending on season. Turtle Beach is a good 20 min to half hour drive from the airport, so would need to hire cab or car to get around. Would definitely do one or the other as it's nice to drive around the island and take it all in! I usually stay in Black Rock (village just before Turtle Beach) but rent a vehicle to get around...If you don't want to move around alot........hang by the pool for the most part ...then do a few tours...then I would just take a taxi...available right outside Turtle Beach.

Hope you have a great visit.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle Beach by Rex or Cocco Reef?

Thank-you very much for the information.

4. Re: Turtle Beach by Rex or Cocco Reef?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 05, 2010