We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle beach by rex hotel

N lincs
Level Contributor
17 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle beach by rex hotel

we are hoping to visit here. Can anyone please give info on the difference between Superior rooms and standard ones? Are superior worth the extra?

Also are beach/pool towels provided?

What is the best way to take currency and which?

Looking forward to any advice available.

YYC
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle beach by rex hotel

Re: currency - you will be in Tobago so use the TT dollar. Use the ATMs on the island for the best conversion rates.

N lincs
Level Contributor
17 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle beach by rex hotel

Thanks.

Level Contributor
204 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle beach by rex hotel

Find out for sure if Rex Turtle Hotel has an ATM. If not, and you plan to use T and T money, you will have to change up your money at the airport or a bank in Crown Point, within walking distance of the airport. The line-ups at the bank are always very long and very slow,often taking 3/4's of an hour's wait. And also it's a good 1/2 hour's drive away from your hotel so plan accordingly.If you have to "run into the city" to the bank, it's likely going to be very time-consuming. I advise you change money right in the airport, or designate a particular morning for yourself and others in your group to do so.We are always cautious and put the extra money in a safe at the hotel, and never carry it around on our person. It's tricky... some restaurants do accept Visa but some do not.You have to ask when you book a reservation, or before you order, and plan accordingly. MAny prefer TT money, while some are happy to get American!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle beach by rex hotel

Most rooms in Rex Turtle Beach face the ocean...I wouldn't think superior would be worth it as it is a long hotel all facing the ocean. Towels are provided to guests only. Change your currency at the airport mini strip mall bank or bring your debit card (check if compatible first) and just take money from the ATM at the bank or the drive thru (walk-thru)ATM right outside the airport towards the left as you walk out of the airport right beside the parking lot. Take money out as you need it so you don't have a huge amount on you at any given time. If I remember correctly, Turtle Beach does have safes. Turtle Beach does not have an ATM (as of last Jan at least). I would suggest staying away from banks in Scarborough and hotels do not give as good of a rate that you would get in the atms. There are at least three in the Crown Pt./ airport area. The closest one to Turtle Beach Hotel is the one in Pleasant Prospect right beside Pizza Boys and the mini mart. (Nice little bar upstairs as well-Signature Lounge-pool tables-good drinks and a talent/music/poetry etc night.) Hope you have a great trip. I like Turtle Beach's pool alot and often walk down from Black Rock Village to spend the day by the pool and have lunch.

N lincs
Level Contributor
17 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle beach by rex hotel

thank you for the info. We have now booked so can start planning and discovering the sights to see.

Birmingham
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle beach by rex hotel

Hey could you please tell me if there is a grocery store of some kind in Black Rock?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle beach by rex hotel

Yes, there are two small ones, but the superette has most everything.( If you are to do a major grocery trip I suggest Pennysavers or Moorshead....they have everything!-will need a vehicle to get there if you're staying in Black Rock) In Black Rock both have groceries, supplies(Mosquito coils, personal products etc)and liquor/beer....I prefer the Superette (north of Michaels Bar-not beside it).

Birmingham
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle beach by rex hotel

Thanks for your reply....we will be staying at Turtle Beach on a room only basis,so it's good to know we can at least reach Black Rock for a pizza.....any other advice would be most gratefully recieved.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Turtle beach by rex hotel

There is no pizza in Black Rock...however if you keep walking about 15-20 min past that you can reach the lower Grafton Beach road and eat at their beach bar or keep on the main road and reach Pizza Boys in Pleasant Prospect. (look for it on the way in from the airport-ask the driver to poiint it out for you). Ask anyone and they can give you directions. My one piece of advice is don't walk the road between Turtle Beach and Black Rock in the dark...it's a lonely little stretch and just not a smart thing to do anymore altho I've done it many a time! Also Stonehaven Villa's Rest/bar have a nice menu with fair prices and a great Happy hour...it's across from Grafton Beach up on the hill.

I wish I could go and be your tour guide! lol

have fun and let us know how you make out

kent
Level Contributor
848 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turtle beach by rex hotel

Hi all,

from what i have read The Turtle Beach Hotel is near the Aiport is there any Aircraft noise?

Any other tips about the Hotel would be great.

Many thanks

SQ7