We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tropikist

UK
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
tropikist

Hi all.

Thinking of going to Tobago next year,is the Tropikist a good base hotel and does it have good restaurants near ( Tobabo style). or is it too noisy. Also we would like to snorkel and i hear you can't on this beach but 5mins walk you can , does it cost to enter beaches?, one more thing can you walk from Tropikist to the Arnos Vale.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: tropikist

No...you can't walk to ArnosVale from Tropikist. Arnosvale is a bit out of the way of anything....but the snorkelling and beach is great there. The Tropikist is located in the StoreBay/Airport area which is close to alot of anmenities. Close to Store Bay which does have a lovely beach and lots of places to eat and shop around for local trinkets. There is no charge to enter any beach in Tobago and the beach is considered no mans/or every mans land. However at Pidgeon Pt you pay a modest entry fee (to the facilities) that helps with the cost of facilities ie: toilets etc. Pidgeon Pt also offers bar and good food services at great prices.....also lots of little shops to browse....worth the entrance fee. Store Bay is free, but the locals will charge for beach chairs if you want them. I prefer the sand!! but the rental rates are cheap regardless. Arnos Vale is quite a bit up the west coast just north of Plymouth......a car/taxi is a must as the roads are winding and desolate.

Tobago is not a noisy island......and it's not a typical tourist destination ...yet. To get an idea of the flavour of the island try checking out www.mytobago.info or www.visittnt.com

Hope this helps. Tropikist Hotel, I do believe is a budget type hotel...basics available. Arnos Vale is more expensive. Check out the sites and I hope they help.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tropikist

My family and I stayed at this hotel 2 years ago and found it a very good base. We went on an all inclusive package but there were restaurants near by that looked very Tobago style. A few other guests who weren't all inclusive did go to them and said they were nice. We didn't find the hotel to be noisy despite the close proximity to the airport, in fact it was very relaxing and peaceful being such a small hotel.

It is true that you can't snorkel on the beach in front of the Tropikist but Store Bay is literally a 5 min walk where the beach is very nice and good for snorkelling. we took a boat out to the nylon pool and the snorkelling was great. you don't have to pay to go to store bay as it is a local beach and there are plenty of stalls with souvenirs etc. However I do believe that you have to pay to go to pigeon point which is the famous picture postcard beach on Tobago!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: tropikist

One more thing. The Nylon pool and reef tour is not worth it. The reef is dead because of all the tours that have gone there and careless tourists. If you like to snorkel, take a day boat tour up the west coast and remember not to touch any aquatic life including reef life as it kills them. The BBQ tours are fun.....but if you want to see marine life, don't waste your time on the Buccoo Reef trip. The Nylon Pool is just a spot in the ocean floor that has no rocks and the water is clear.

UK
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tropikist

Many thanks for the information , can't wait to see the island

5. Re: tropikist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Tobago