We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week to go!

London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
1 week to go!

Well, this time next week I will almost be there - v excited! Mossie repellent and sun lotion arranged, small amount of T&TD purchased, dive gear at the ready, just need to pack my clothes etc. Any last minute tips from anyone of stuff I should bring? This is not an open invitation for recent victims of violent crime to tell me I need a bouncer / bodyguard / self defence lessons please, I'm sorry to hear of your traumatic experiences but looking for more practical answers please (taking care of my personal safety is a given). Thanks .... counting down the days =D

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week to go!

We are in the middle of a very hot dry season. Remember to keep hydrated and use sunscreen and hat etc. Don't want you to get sunburnt and ruin the vacation.

Enjoy! :)

Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week to go!

Well you don't need many clothes!....Go and ENJOY beautiful, friendly, lovely Tobago.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week to go!

A hat from the sun (didn't see it in your list). I always bring a bit of bubble wrap for wrapping duty free bottles that have to go in our 'checked' luggage-keeping in mind the small bottles of liquids rule. Enjoy and have a wonderful time! I'm already planning to book again for next year!

London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week to go!

Thanks all, I will deffo pack a hat! I will be underwater a lot bit have high factor sun cream for inbetween. Are there many mosquitos about at the mo?

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
494 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week to go!

It is the dry season so there are less mosquito about. Early evening seems to be their active time so avoid using strong scent and dark clothing both of which attract them. Bites below the knee tend to be sand fly bites. Application of baby oil to your ankles and calves etc reduces their being attracted to you and is far less odourous than massive applications of citronella based ointments! Wearing socks or stockings to the knee in the evening is a local thing.

Because there has been so little rain the visibility has been really good especially around midday when the sun is overhead. My wife and children report seeing Hawksbill and Green turtle of different sizes every day right off the beach here in Castara!

When snorkeling remember to wear a t-shirt and sunblock on your cheeks is not covered as they will be exposed to the sun more when snorkeling for long periods and the abundance of underwater life can make you lose track of time!

You will enjoy your stay........................

London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week to go!

Hi, thanks for the response. I will be diving rather than snorkelling and have UV rash vests for when on the surface and water resistant sun cream - but I take your point, it's very easy to get distracted in and around the water and burn without realising! Good to hear re the visibility. I will try and keep those sand flies at bay. I don't mind being coated in citronella head to toe if it stops them nibbling - although not sure how everyone around me will feel about it, he he. Sooooo excited now! 3 more sleeps =D

Edited: 8:39 am, April 14, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week to go!

FYI I use Skin So Soft bath oil by Avon. It smells great and deters the bugs. In fact hunters and fisherman here in Ontario use it! I did find however, that fish love it! I was wading at No Mans Land and had a group of fish start to nibble at my legs. One, two then about 7. My nephew and his friend (locals) waded out and was trying to catch them to eat......was hilarious. Have a great time Faye!

London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week to go!

Ha ha great! I use a natural mosquito repellent called incognito that is citronella based so looks like I will be fish food!

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week to go!

I was taking temperature readings today. Around midday I got a reading of 36.5C

Lots of bush fires in Trinidad. Am not sure how it is in Tobago with the fires. I absolutely hate this weather and the fires.

The water in the beaches are very clear now days in South Trinidad though. No murky waters coming in from the Orinoco these past few weeks.

London, England
Level Contributor
414 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 week to go!

I love the heat and am happy to hear it's hot as been a long and VERY cold Winter in the UK! Hopefully no fires though, that must be a nightmare for the locals ...

Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations