We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Tobago Experience

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Our Tobago Experience

My wife, daughter and I have just returned from a 10 day visit to Tobago and would sum it up as an Excellent Overall Experience and I have submitted reviews for the components of our trip in detail.

Tobago is a beautiful island..... it would stand up to any destination in the world in terms of its ingredients and what it has to offer. I have travelled to many beautiful, exotic places all over the world and this place will be a welcome addition to my travel memories. (the world is big!... and I have seen so little.....sigh )

When I started researching Tobago, I was alarmed at reports of crime....especially recent, violent ones that occurred near where I was going to be staying ..... and my posts reflect that. We experienced no problems whatsoever... I guess we were lucky?.... or we were vigilant and careful.

Especially because I brought my blond,pretty, 17 yr old daughter with us. (She received many comments and stares from local men... mostly benign)

As many posters have reported and some sadly experienced.....crime does and is happening on Tobago, so you must be alert and sensible on where you go and what you do as everyone agrees.

I passed a couple of police cars in our time there but saw no other presence. We never generally walked anywhere at night...(had a rental car almost the whole time) and even walking in the day time... beaches,roads etc... we were careful. But not obsessively so.....except... walking down to the Arnos Vale beach (beautiful!)....thru the grounds of the Arnos Vale Hotel.... that was sort of creepy (the place is borderline derelect...faded glory). It has huge potential and somebody will bring it back to life eventually.

Please forgive this wordy submission .

Some Highlites:

Pigeon Point Beach/Park - beautiful, loved it...especially on early morning walks (a bit too crowded as the day wore on)

Castara Bay - beautiful, definately would stay there (my kind of laid back ambiance)...views, beaches, creole dining, Boathouse bar,great looking places.. especially Blue Marlin Room at the Naturalist but most others as well

Englishmans Bay - stunning beach and setting (and I have seen some amazing beaches...)

Charlotteville - loved it, again... great local ambiance

Argyle Falls - Beautiful, climb up to the upper levels and go for a swim

( we wanted to go to the Highland Falls but could not find someone to guide us there...its isolated and was told by more than one guide/local that it would potentially be dangerpous as people have been attacked there)

Coast Drive around the Island - many times visually stunning!...highly recommended!... the roads need to be driven to be believed....in a small car it was like being on a Go Kart Track ( Huge Fun!... my wife Hugely disagrees! )

Roxborough to Parlatuiver Mountain road - thru the Tobago Forest Reserve and we stopped and partly hiked one of the trails by ourselves ... U need a guide to point out all those annoying, beautiful hidden birds and creatures though :-)

Bars - Bagos!... I know its not much but its where its located, types of characters it attracts (we are sailors), cold beer ,tunes, great BBQ, sundowns etc...(not an evening bar though...it seems to clear out)

Boathouse bar at Castara - all above applies! (except I heard it is a great evening bar)

Restaurants - La Cantina... (excellent pizza,service!), Tobago Paradise Travel and Grill...Lobster!!!, Fish!!! but only 3 tables so reserve...

We shopped at the big Pennysavers on Milford road,... it has most things you need and prices were reasonable, good booze selection (you really dont need to bring duty free booze), fruit and vegetables were better at another place closer to Crown Point along Milford road and Silja from Top O' Tobago brought us to a local meat shop/farm (excellent).... I'm sure its mentioned here somewhere

Many people have submitted that they find Tobago generally unfriendly and the Tourism workforce/Local residents cold and lacking.... we experienced just the opposite ... but we went out of our way to extend smiles, thank you's and we received the same back.... except ! .... for Mister Grumpy Icy Glare local guy sitting on the rope chair with the ice creme pickup at Engishmans' Bay.... I tried to smile at him/say hello more than once but he just wanted to kill me horribly. :-)

Tobago...Highly Recommended!

Bob

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
487 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Tobago Experience

Add to your bar list:

Glasgow's Bar above Parlatuvier, & D'Lime in Castara.............Local football teams watch games there as well as at Cheno's Coffee Bar

The ice cream guy had a stroke last year which has slowed him down a bit, he used to be more chatty!

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Tobago Experience

We stopped at Glasow's Bar on one road trip, sat out side on the little patio for cold beers and sandwiches, the view of Paratuvier bay was spectacular as you well know..... sorry to hear about Mr Grumpys' condition.

He still wants to kill me though.... :-(

Bob

3. Re: Our Tobago Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:04 am, June 25, 2014
Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Tobago Experience

That's you choice and you are entitled to that. But others are free to make their own choice too.

Did something happen to you recently in Tobago to cause your negativity towards Tobago?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Tobago Experience

Awesome to hear Cat471. There have been many changes to Tobago (thanks to a slow influx of tourism) over the last 30 some years, but it is still one of favourite destinations.....and I have been to many! So glad you enjoyed it!

Cheers!

PS: good write up...sounds like you hit most of the great places!!

Edited: 8:34 pm, March 20, 2013
Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Tobago Experience

Am happy that you enjoyed your stay.

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Tobago Experience

Thank You all !

TorontoFlyingfish..... I echo the question of Poisonarrowz to you...?

Tobago has problems with crime...some horribly violent, my previous posts certainly reflect my concerns for my families safety before we were arrived.

We were carefull....on alert...and had a A+ trip.... When I compare it to other places all over the world that I have visited .... Tobago did not fall below those..... safety wise.

Steve Wooler of the MyTobago forum rightfully said "You will get out of this island what you put into it. "

Bob

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Tobago Experience

So awesome to hear. Not ignoring the problems happening here (Tobago) that have to be dealt with...they are going thru the headaches of tourism creeping in, sadly. It's still my fav after 30 years of travel. I've not met Steve Wooler, but I find his site very informative and fair....kudo's to him! I love Tobago and always will. You get what you give if not more.

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Tobago Experience

hi from london , i think some of our reader's are missing the point in reagrd's to the incidents of crime in tobago. many of us tourist who go on holiday no that crime exist's all over the world . the point we are trying to say in tobago you have it in your mind that there are lovely beaches , very peacfull were you can go to relax and unwind after leaving the big city's that many of us come from . so to hear reports of crime against tourist does not want to make you go to tobago. instead you will choose another island to go to. and people should not reply to us tourist well if you dont like it dont come back . on this site were all here to support each other with our vacation details be it good or bad. so people need to show some empathy towards other readers on this site. lol.

Calgary, Alberta...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Tobago Experience

I have travelled to Trinidad and Tobago 6 times in the past 10 years and absolutely love it! you summed up Tobago very well. I have yet to run into any issues in either parts of the country. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG7JZv52kac

Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations