We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving and mopeds in Tobago

Bedford, England
Level Contributor
463 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Driving and mopeds in Tobago

Hi

We are a couple who will be staying at the Magdalena Grand Resort in April for one week on a B&B basis, as we will want to eat out at different places. As I have read on these forums that the hotel is quite out of the way we have been thinking about renting a car, having been to numerous other carribbean islands we have seen how people drive over there.

Is it the same in Tobago? are the roads safe? I am usually quite a confident driver over here but have never driven in another country

Also do they rent mopeds in Tobago??

London, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving and mopeds in Tobago

Hi, driving is on the left which is a good start! I have certainly been to countries where the driving is far scarier than in Tobago but if you are sensible and take things carefully then there is no reason for you not to hire a car (or even better an open top jeep!) and explore this beautiful island.

I would say the biggest thing to watch out for are the potholes (although the state of English roads at the moment make some of Tobago's roads look very good!), not just the ones on your side of the road but also beware of drivers coming towards you on the wrong side of the road to avoid the potholes on their side of the road.

Some of the roads especially as you go to the north of the island are very twisty so caution is advised here.

I don't know about mopeds, I assume you can hire them but personally I would say you'd be much safer in a car or jeep.

Bedford, England
Level Contributor
463 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving and mopeds in Tobago

Thanks for the reply KK03!

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving and mopeds in Tobago

Have a read tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147392-i549-k5697…

Bedford, England
Level Contributor
463 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving and mopeds in Tobago

Very informative Poison, many thanks.

I am wondering if it would be cheaper and safer to just use the same taxi throughout the week?????

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving and mopeds in Tobago

A car is handy especially if you want to see the island like the north and east. Road is quiete good. Taxis will be too expensive I think.

6. Re: Driving and mopeds in Tobago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations