We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim cards -cost

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Sim cards -cost

What is the going rate for a T&T simcard?

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim cards -cost

About $25TT.

Then you can add credit to it, whatever amount you choose.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim cards -cost

Easy. Thanks. Not that I am a big proponent of cell phones, but often easier when travelling - the only time I use one.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim cards -cost

Hi,

We will be leaving for Tobago in about 3 weeks. Does anyone know of anywhere that rents cell phones on Tobago? We have a business back home and a disabled son so I need to occasionally call the U.S. and visa versa.

Or I can buy a sim card for my global phone but I'm not sure if the rates I found are correct and it is the weekend and they are closed.

Does anyone know what Digicel rates are for cell phones making calls to the U.S. If I'm reading their website correct it looks like $1.30 per minute. That is pretty expensive.

www.digiceltt.com/en/prepaid/prepaid_tariffs

I have sim cards for BVI's and St. Vincent and Lime only charges about .30 to call the U.S. . . .

I am thinking about either renting a cell phone to avoid buying another sim card @$40.00 for my global phone or using Telna that has a wifi calling feature where you can make calls when hooked up to a wifi connection for free, but would rather be able to call when I want.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim cards -cost

is there a Digicel in the Trinidad airport where I can buy a sim card? I need a micro sim card not the regular size one.

If not what about at the Tobago airport or close by?

Are they only $25? That is cheaper than Mr. Simcard charges @38.00 for the micro sim card.

Edited: 9:53 pm, November 09, 2012
Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
492 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim cards -cost

You could pick up the most basic mobile phone and buy top up cards? There is a mobile phone shop across the road from arrivals. They have been really helpful to me over the years.

The last one we bought cost us $200T with I think $50TT credit.

You can always give it to someone when you leave..........................After 3 weeks it will owe you nothing.

Using a local mobile for international calls is surprisingly cheap to us accustomed to the bills we get from Vodaphone!

If you have a smart phone get the Skype app. There are a lot of places now with free wi-fi available or unlocked ones!

Make sure you turn off "Data Roaming"on your iphone or weep when you get home!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim cards -cost

I prefer to just buy the card and use my own phone. i chatted with a bmobile person online and she told the the money amounts on the website for rates were in TT? So it says $1.25 per minute to call the U.S.

bmobile.co.tt/plans/international-rates/

So would that be approx .22 cents per minute that is very reasonable. And they "cut" the card to be a micro sim card. Do you know if there is a place either at Trinidad or Tobago airports that sells just the sim card. If not anywhere on Tobago? Does not have to be Bmobile, can be Digicel Also, thank you

Edited: 9:37 am, November 10, 2012
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim cards -cost

also does the skype app allow you to make free calls to the U.S. when connected to a wifi connection, have never used it before

Edited: 9:39 am, November 10, 2012
Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sim cards -cost

There are bmobile and Digicel kiosk at Piarco Airport. Not sure of their opening hours though.

Both bmobile and Digicel have cheap calling rates to the US. Sometimes like $0.50TT a minute on weekends and evenings I think. Calls aren't expensive. It seems like local calls cost more than international ones.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sim cards -cost

thank you, I have also been told there are several digicel and bmobile outlets on tobago as well.

10. Re: Sim cards -cost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 29, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations