We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time questions, thank you

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
first time questions, thank you

Going to be our first time to Tobago (Dec 2-Dec 14th) and are very excited and have some questions.

1. Are the T&T Spirit and T&T Express the only ferry services for getting to Tobago from POS?

2. Is there a bank for money exchange either at POS or Tobago airport or ferry terminal for exchanging US to TTD? If not where?

3. Which area of Tobago has the calmest beaches. We are used to and like places comparable to Lower Bay, Bequia, Cane Garden Bay and Jost Van Dyke, BVI.

4. I will of course do research but would like suggestions on accommodations that are low key can be small hotel or apartment would like a kitchen and on or less than a 5 minute walk to beach with bars, local restaurant(s), store for basic stuff (beer) within walking distance.

5. How much is a beer usually at the beach bars, usually drink caribe or stella,

6. What is the local beer down there.

I have found it odd that it is actually less expensive to fly from POS to Tobago than taking the ferry services above and it only takes about 20 min. The ferry says it takes anywhere from 2 to 3 hours. Do the flights book up quickly??

I’ve just started my research and find the ppl on trip advisor help a lot because they have been there. Thank you!

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
495 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time questions, thank you

Yes those are the ferries, they are cheap but the 'airbridge' is as well so you can fly direct from POS airport rather than taxi to the port..

There are 'Change' facilities at both airports. US Dollar is about 6.1 to 1(US) On the street it is 6-1.

There are also ATM machines but check with your US bank and tell them where you are going. Some smaller banks in the US do not seem to realise there is another world out there..............

All the beaches can be calm it depends on the sea conditions. The Western Caribbean side gets the sunsets. A lot of the beaches have lifeguards.

TA and also mytobago.info are really good for information about Tobago and all the different types of accommodation. Do your homework.

Another excellent source is The Rough Guide, good bedtime research and one book to carry with you when you visit.

The local beer is Carib or Stag both brewed in Trinidad by the Carib Brewery who also brew the local Guinness which is really good and strong as well as being the bottlers of Coca Cola, 7-Up etc. Beers in a local bar are usually 10TT. A hotel will always charge more same as everywhere in the world.

The 'airbridge ' flies non stop all day and into the night. Last flight I think is now after midnight but someone else will correct me I am sure.

Flights, as everywhere, fill up at peak times, holidays etc but as the plane flies back and forth without shutting down both engines ( on the ground!), if you do not get on one then you get on the next one. Book it when you book your international flights. You will have to clear customs and immigration in POS so allow time for the connection. Neither customs or immigration will be ANYTHING like what you are accustomed to nowadays in the USA.

Enjoy the research it will be worthwhile.

A word of warning, you will fall in love with the island and end up returning......we did and now we live here !!

Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: first time questions, thank you

Not sure where you got your info about prices for ferry vs air, but airfare from Trinidad to Tobago is 150TTD each way. Ferry is 50TTD each way. Yes, it takes between 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
777 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time questions, thank you

personally, would fly rather than ferry. Especially if you have any issues with sea sickness. It's cheap and fast and like G and T said..you're already there. You will find www.mytobago.info very informative (also previously mentioned) great site. Enjoy.....been going since mid 80's and consider it my second home.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
495 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time questions, thank you

Sorry I meant to infer that the plane was as economical, not the same price as the ferry.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time questions, thank you

thank you all all this information pretty much sums up our plan making. Actually were planning on returning to Bequia for our 2nd time in the Grenadines but more harder to get to long, long flight day from Tampa to SJU then SJU to St. Vincent, etc. and not dealing with liat is a plus!

tobago4real - i got the ferry prices from their website and didn't realize they were talking TT not US so yes that is cheap.

now just have to do research on where we want to stay so for sure will have more questions in a bit, thanks

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: first time questions, thank you

While the ferry is cheaper there is a chance that you might get seasick. Somehow the trip to Tobago is when most get seasick while the return is not so bad .... happened to me.

An advantage of taking the plane is that the airport is very near to a few places you might find suitable to stay - and in walking distance from the airport to boot. They are Crown Point Hotel, Johnstons Apartments, and Coco Reef Resort. These are all at the Store Bay beach.

We stayed at the Johnstons since we prefer to do our own food.

Store Bay has several food vendors in stalls around the Bay plus right across the road from the airport is a restaurant with local cuisine.

Google either of those places for details.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time questions, thank you

I also belong to another forum and found these posts regarding Tobago

www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/showflat.php…

What do ppl on here sum this up as? We are seasoned travelers and know not to be out drunk or not drunk at night in the wrong places and such like that, don't be flashy etc. etc. But a couple of these posts I would like your opinions on like "not visit a deserted beach by yourself??" Isn't that what people like to do on small islands? Also do not liked being hassled about buying drugs. This is why we do not go to Jamaica anymore.

Would like opinions if Tobago is still this way regarding some of the posts users that visited several years ago had these problems. Thank you again

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
495 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time questions, thank you

Good morning. I just had a look at that chatline site ..............we have been going to Tobago since 2001 and ended up building a house there we loved it so much. We certainly would not have contemplated it if we thought it to be dangerous! As for the guy who said he was not going back because of the drug peddlers, well I am no shrinking violet and have gone to all the 'wrong' places and have never been approached by youths selling drugs, they would be busted in a minute! The only ones to approach you, I have been told, usually around Buccoo while Sunday School is happening are said to be under cover police trying to catch the unwary tourist! As for the US, UK etc Foreign Office warnings, they are covering themselves.

No I do not wear rose tinted glasses, I know it is not perfect there but it is pretty close!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
349 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time questions, thank you

thank you i thought it might be some over exaggeration (sp?)

lac mégantic
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: first time questions, thank you

Well, if one cannot smoke the holy herb in Tobago, I'll be going back to Jamaica then. Have a good trip.

Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations