We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked for Tobago. Help needed!

chorley
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booked for Tobago. Help needed!

We have booked for Tobago for the end of October and we are really exited! We are staying at the Magdalena Beach.

Any suggestions for place we should visit? Can any one recommend a nice quiet relaxing catamaran cruise? We would like to hire a car for part of our visit - any suggestions? Any suggestions for places to eat lunch around the Island? I sometimes get a bad reaction to mosquito bites - any suggestions for stopping the little beasties??!

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
chorley
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked for Tobago. Help needed!

Sorry - Hotel is Magdalena Grand!!!

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
565 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked for Tobago. Help needed!

To get the best out of the island why not get yourself a copy of the Rough Guide. The editor , Polly Thomas, is English married to a Trinidadian photographer plus check out all the really helpful information on www.mytobago.info. as well as go through the different posts here on Trip Advisor

Re the mosquitoes , take an anti histamine cream from Boots with you. Better to be bitten a few times than to walk around smelling of citronella! Anti-histamine tablets are available in the pharmacies here. Many bites attributed to mosquitoes, if they are below the knee, are usually the sand flies. Socks or trousers for the evening stroll on the beach are a good idea.

As they prefer my wife's blood to mine I usually just stay close to her...........!

chorley
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked for Tobago. Help needed!

Thanks for the reply - Ginaandtoni.

Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked for Tobago. Help needed!

Sorry but I have to disagree that it's better to get a few mosquito bites - dengue fever is a reality here and it would put a serious damper on your vacation to get it. Also, many visitors like yourself get serious reactions to the bites of not just mosquitos but also sand flies, and I have seen ladies' legs that look like they are out of a horror movie, so I don't think it's worth taking the chance. Use a DEET-based repellent - if not brought with you then buy some 'Off or "Odomos' when you get here.

However, the good news is that Magdalena Grand is on the breezy atlantic side of the island so you are unlikely to be troubled much by mosquitos there.... more likely will be a problem if you are out and about, especially in the evening.

chorley
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked for Tobago. Help needed!

Thanks Tobago4real.

I didn't know that I could get 'Off '' in Tobago. I have used it before in Barbados - I will buy some when I get to Tobago.

Good to know that we won't be troubled much by mosquitoes at our hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
349 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked for Tobago. Help needed!

"OFF" is really good

You should go to the Cafe coco we really love our diner There

http://miniurl.org/Ch3

Enjoy your trip

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
565 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked for Tobago. Help needed!

Sorry I did not wish to appear complacent with regards to mosquitos but they do prefer my wife to me!

The last cases on Tobago were found to have originated on Trinidad where Dengue is endemic..Luckily on Tobago it is still rare. The Aedes mosquito which carries the desease is a mostly daytime mosquito.

As a precaution the authourities sprayed the whole island of Tobago in 2010 after the last outbreak! We all sat in the street in our nightclothes as it was really early while men in protective clothing sprayed the whole house and the surrounding areas.

Properties are also regularly inspected by the health authourities at which time they give advice ( i.e. store empty Carib/Stag bottles upside down in the crate!) and check for standing water which is the breeding ground for any mosquitoes.

I see the house we are staying in was last inspected on the 3rd of January this year. ( Health card by the front door )Dengue fever is transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes, which bite primarily in the daytime and favor densely populated areas, though they also inhabit rural environments.

When we first visited my wife had a bad reaction to the sandflies but now thankfully they just itch ( like mad ) until a anti-histamine cream is applied.

I agree that applying a repellant such as Odomos or Off when one goes out in the evening does provide some protection especially to the lower leg.

The coils work relly well as do the plug in's. OR Give your room a good spray with then shut the door. Allow the smell to disipate then ventilate and go back in.

Locally one can also buy an electronic bug zapper for $49TT-$89TT in the form of a tennis racket with which to clear ones room. Not only is it effective and enjoyable ( emits a satisfying electrical "zap" when contact is made ), as one get ones revenge but you also can perfect your backswing..........................!

i agree that applying a repellant such as

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Truro, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked for Tobago. Help needed!

Places to visit will depend upon your interests - Fort George is good for history and views, there's wonderful and varying beaches with local craft at most of them, store bay is good for sourveniors and a trip to one of the waterfalls is a must. I also found the bird santuary very interesting at feeding time.

For a catamaran trip I would recommend Island Girl, we've been on it many times for day excursions and sunset cruises and have never been disappointed.

There's several good places to eat lunch, but my favourites are Art Cafe on the highway and there's a good local vendor that sells lunch on a Friday on the hill to Fort George, lovely local food and if you're lucky the bar next door will be open to accompany your meal (Garden Cafe). Also, crab and dumpling and roti are a must whilst on the island.

chorley
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked for Tobago. Help needed!

Thanks - Ginandtonic

Thanks - Leah21

I like the idea of a bug zapper - would give me great pleasure to get my own back on the little beasties!

Looking forward to crab and dumplings and i love roti - what fillings do they have in Tobago?

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Surrey
Destination Expert
for Tobago
Level Contributor
565 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked for Tobago. Help needed!

Typical fillings are:

Goat , Beef, Chicken, Fish, Vegetarian. Veggie being the cheapest.