We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropkist OK for kids (early teen)? Or Turtle Rex?

UK
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tropkist OK for kids (early teen)? Or Turtle Rex?

Hi - we're hoping to get to T/go for Easter, and are thinking about either the Tropikist or the Turtle Rex as three star hotels on the beach. I've read all the reviews of both - mixed for both!- but can anyone give me a steer on which tends to have more kids (eg 10-l4 age range)? I'm favouring the Tropkist at the moment because of the location - not sure if there's anyone else to eat around the Turtle Rex? Looks a bit isolated and we don't want all-inclusive.

Thanks - Pam

london
Level Contributor
372 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropkist OK for kids (early teen)? Or Turtle Rex?

I am going to Tobago in 3 weeks and looked into both options. I would say the Tropikist is probably the best option. Looks likes there more restaurants, things to do, things to try, tours, shops etc! I think the beach is more sheltered too!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropkist OK for kids (early teen)? Or Turtle Rex?

Go to the Tropikist....closer to 'stuff' for you and the kids. If you want a quieter trip...do the Rex Turtle Beach. Nice, but quieter. Trop is closer to fast foods (yes in Tobago!)and the 'hub' of activities, Check out the Golden Star and surrounding areas for activities. Have fun!! I know you will!

UK
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropkist OK for kids (early teen)? Or Turtle Rex?

Thanks! That's given me good stuff to go on. Can you recall if you've seen other kids in the 10-14 age range staying at the Tropikist? Always helps to have a bunch of kids in a hotel when you've got your own. I don't think the Tropikist does watersports does it, but I think they can sort it out for you i believe? We'll probagly be going to Pigeon Point anyway for the windsurfing.

Thanks - Pam.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropkist OK for kids (early teen)? Or Turtle Rex?

You'll be fine in the Store Bay area. Lots to do and still close to Pidgeon Pt (beautiful!) etc. One thing in Store Bay area is when you are walking or driving in, there always seems to be guys trying to sell you a "Reef" trip....before you even see the ocean. If you politely decline, it's okay! Make up your mind later if you want to go or not. They are all okay. THe reef isn't inthe best condition anymore, but still nice to see and do a swim in the Nylon pool.The reef-BBQ trip is fun and the food is good. Big Keith from the "A Team" is always fun! You'll have a blast. The hotels are not huge resorts like in the DR or Cancun etc. Move around and see all you can see. If you need a taxi driver, I can recommend Leroy. Ask for him as you get off the plane and go out the door at the airport. Tell him "Dandue's wife" sent you! He's a great guy (and godfather to my firstborn!). Easter has goat racing and crab racing at Buccoo.....big gathering of people and food! Let me know how you make out! CHeers

England
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropkist OK for kids (early teen)? Or Turtle Rex?

I stayed at Rex Turtle last Sept and there were no kids there. It's VERY quiet and I would have hated it as a teenager. I went with my mum(I'm 36 and mum 60)and we were bored. The place is nice if you want total quietness. The hotel is a bit isolated and although taxis are reasonable, there is nothing within walking distance. The evening entertainment was like something out of a retirement home. The pools nice and the beach quiet but the sea is very rough and as a strong swimmer - I found it very hard going. I wouldn't recommend the sea for kids. The hotel is basic, clean and food good but some of the staff need some customer care training (some were lovely). Service is slow even by caribbean standard. I'm English and we spend most of our time queing without saying a word but even I moaned on more than one occasion.

We met several people staying at the Tropkist and they seemed to be happy enough. I beleive its situated on a coral reef and not directly on the beach like Turtle but I may be wrong.

If you do any trips - book with Big Keith (He's the one with the Barry White voice & used to be Mr Trinidad & Tobago). He came strongly recommended to us. Excellent value and he is very well known thoughout the island. We did several trips with him and felt so safe and well advised. Others who went on similar trips with other reps didn't get half the value for money we did.

Hope you have a wonderful time where ever you choose.

Joanne xx

nottingham, england
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropkist OK for kids (early teen)? Or Turtle Rex?

hi pam, i am staying at tropikist with my 2 teenage daughters easter week, and my brothers familly, dont worry there is bound to be lots of other kids there, very nearby good reasonably priced restaurants, you know how kids can been about food! love Tobago to bits, the locals are friendly, even if i dont expect great service or food in hotel after reading reviews, as long as clean and tidy with a good pool, but hey we are on holiday and going to chill. my brother lived here for a while so is pretty clued up have a good time

Guernsey UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropkist OK for kids (early teen)? Or Turtle Rex?

When we were last in Tobago (May 05) we were told by people staying in the Tropikist that it was a disaster. If you do stay there don't go all inclusive as they always ran out of food. Look at more recent review, it may well have changed.

Tobago is gorgeous and you will love the island but you are probably better staying in locally run guesthouses as the locals are so very friendly. It really doesn't matter about a pool the beaches are just wonderful.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropkist OK for kids (early teen)? Or Turtle Rex?

Pam,check out holidayin.com and see if you can find a resort to suit your needs,i found one(sandy's guest house),the rates can't be beaten.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropkist OK for kids (early teen)? Or Turtle Rex?

Pam,thats holidayintobago.com

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropkist OK for kids (early teen)? Or Turtle Rex?

Pam8-when Iwas there in Dec/Jan-06 we often went to Turtle Beach with our kids...ages 11-and 13. Great pool. There were about 20 kids in that age category. It all depends on WHO is staying in the hotel at that time. It can be quiet or busy. Christmas was good this past year...we found the kids from England were great and lots of fun....my kids are still 'online' with some of them and chatting everyday. Friends were made for sure. The English folks seem to like Turtle Beach Rex.

Hope it helps. Different all the time. Still lots to do if you travel around the island.Don't be shy...rent a car and see it all...good people (locals) and lots to see if you want too! Don't be afraid to mingle with the locals. IF you don't mingle, you'll miss the flavour of the island!! The people are great! Don't be shy.

Get answers to your questions about Tobago