We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

le grand courlan

Milton Keynes, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
le grand courlan

Is this place really as bad as the reviews would have you believe? we have booked and wonder whether we should cancel- we imagined we would be getting something similar to the Coyaba in Grenada where we had a good time last year.

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Coyaba Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
1,164 Reviews
Grenada
Northampton
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: le grand courlan

We visited this Hotel in Nov.

When we arrived we were given an upgrade which was much appreciated after the problems with the flight.

We were shown round the room....which was nice...bathroom a bit dated...but nice.

However...we had no remote control for the A/C, the toilet was constantly running and there was no safe door!!

When the maintenance man arrived...Dave showed him how to fix it....!

Restaurant

Generally.......if you dined after 7.30pm...Cold food, very slow service......food very poor.....

A good example is ' snails in a spinach and garlic sauce served in a crispy topped ...' I wont go any further...what I actually got was cold snails in a sauce of some description served on a bread bun!!!!!! At this point we started eating away from the hotel in the evenings!

On a good point the local supermarket sold fresh milk, and a selection of cheeses - brie, camembert and danish blue - none of which were available in the hotel!!! Also the local donut shop sold the most gorgeous gateaux....again a mere dream from Le Grand Courlan where the lunchtime choice was usually jelly, (Butlins style) or some obscure ice cream - very amateur!!

Bistro

Was an exception to the rule...we had some excellent seafood stir fries..........with the exception of the puddings...as above

Breakfast

Boring....!!! Always a queue for toast and omelettes.....smoked bacon every day,,,yeuk! Tea and coffee..yeuk!

The Pool

The poolside loungers are filthy to put it mildly! The cushions are left out in the rain and god knows who slept on them before you.

The swim up bar just has no atmosphere....it is a concrete hole!!

Generally

The hotel is dated. Service has two levels slow and stop...at times you felt you were a nuisance. We LOVED the generator for the jet washer at 6am on three mornings during our holiday. Dave laughed when they ran out of beer...whisky...milk...ice (!!!!)...baileys.l..etc...etc...........which was all available at the local supermarket!!!!

We had no safe door...really!!! For the whole two weeks!!!!

Water sports are a joke!!!! Where are they?????

The wooden bridge is very dangerous, even more so in the rain.

It was interesting to note that on the last day of our holiday, there was a visit from prospective Travel Agents....all of a sudden staff were more numerous and had flowers in their hair!!!

The hotel brochure made us laugh...there is a photo of a waiter with cocktails with decorations/brollies.....we never saw anything like this while we were there!!!!!!

Spa

Treatments vary from person to person and generally are of a poor standard. Hazel being the exception.

Example...facial - while waiting for the steam to work (and make me 20 years younger)......chilling.......I have my eyes covered with pads - chilling - in my right ear is the sound of the girl opening her sandwiches (foil wrapped) eating them and then closing the foil!!!!!!!!

I could go on.....but....in summary - this hotel needs to wake up....;....it is nowhere near 4* standard and we were VERY disappointed. I would NEVER go back to this hotel or Tobago, not in a million years.

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Get answers to your questions about Tobago