We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Tobago
Search

Toucan Inn - Information Needed Please

channel islands
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
Toucan Inn - Information Needed Please
Save

My Husband and myself are considering going to the above hotel next March/April, if anybody has recently stayed there, I would be very grateful for your comments, also am I correct in thinking that it is located on the Atlantic coast and not Carribean? Is the sea safe for swimming in (husband good swimmer, but I'm not)!!

Thank you in advance

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
148 posts
120 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: Toucan Inn - Information Needed Please
Save

It's about a 15 minutes walk from the airport and the street is very dark at night,i stayed there a few years ago but had a rental car,i am not fond of their restaurant.It's a nice cozy place with small pool,don't go swimming on that side of the island,go to Store bay or Pigeon Point,it's safe with lifeguards.I prefer to stay in the Store Bay area where everything is close by even walking to Pigeon Point,i stayed at Arthurs in June which is very convient.

Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Toucan Inn - Information Needed Please
Save

The nearest beach to Toucan Inn is Store Bay which is possibly one of the calmest bays on the island and very popular for swimming. Other beaches would not be within walking distance (although Pigeon Point is not too far), so you may want to look at car rental if you decide to stay there.

Store Bay would be about 10 - 15 mins walk from the hotel.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
148 posts
120 reviews
46 helpful votes
3. Re: Toucan Inn - Information Needed Please
Save

Tobago4real,i don't mean to sound sound snatty,but do you read my answers before you write?You seem to repeat what i write all the time.

Tobago
Level Contributor
275 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Toucan Inn - Information Needed Please
Save

Triniorl, I understand your point - actually I do read your answers, however I am used to giving visitors directions all the time and sometimes when we know a place we forget what we don't know... For example, you and I both know that Store Bay is just a spit distance from the airport but someone who doesn't know the island may not have worked that out. So I am not trying to repeat what you say, but sometimes just trying to make it as clear as possible for first-time visitors.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
148 posts
120 reviews
46 helpful votes
5. Re: Toucan Inn - Information Needed Please
Save

Ok,i understand and hearing it from more than one person gives them a sense of relief.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
33 helpful votes
6. Re: Toucan Inn - Information Needed Please
Save

Dear Breezychannel.....I concur with Tobago4Real.....and also suggest Pidgeon Pt over a lot of other beaches as it is very swimmer friendly and has some facilities that most first timers would enjoy. (toilets, bar, restaurant, lounge chairs (at a small fee) and some small shops)

Triniorl, it's always nice to just answer the 'posters' question and not get involved with the politics of other responses.....some of which are questionable.

Cheers Breezy and enjoy!

Denbigh, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
43 reviews
27 helpful votes
7. Re: Toucan Inn - Information Needed Please
Save

Hi Breezy

I have stayed at the Toucan Inn. As you've probably gathered, the Toucan Inn is not right on the coast - the owners of this hotel did have another hotel right on the Atlantic coast/beach, so perhaps that is where the confusion comes from?

From my experience of staying there, I can't be terribly complimentary but I would say it was a few years ago. The big issue for me was very noisy air con units (which may have been replaced!) and noise from chickens and people sat in the restaurant/bar and around the pool - my cabana was pretty close to the restaurant, so again, that might not affect all visitors.

By far my biggest complaint was that the bathroom had no ceiling! So it meant that any odours or noises coming from the bathroom are hard to escape - I hope you get my meaning! Even if you are sharing a room with your nearest/dearest, you might not fancy that!

The food is ok - a bit hit and miss. Cocktails usually good. Entertainment used to be really good and you would have to book for dinner. I don't think it is still the case.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Toucan Inn - Information Needed Please
Save

I would not recommend staying at the Toucan Inn...the standards have gone very down hill, especially since the credit crunch. I think they charge around $90Us per room per night for a poolside cabana. It looks very tired and rundown. It is a disappointment considering you would be paying around $700US for both of you for a week. Instead you are probably better off going for an apartment in Rainbow Resort or Surfside. The rooms are airconditioned. It is basic but no different to the Toucan Inn. There is a pool too. The cost per night is general around £45-£50. Plus they are selfcatering which is a real bonus as eating out in Tobago is the same price as the UK

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Toucan Inn - Information Needed Please
Save

Or you could stay at the Douglas Apartments which are really nice http://www.douglastobago.com/apartments.html

One bedroom is around $90US a night and they have a pool and are located closer to the beach then the Toucan and have self catering facilities..

10. Re: Toucan Inn - Information Needed Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 14, 2011