We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discrimination

Guyana
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Discrimination

Is it true that Trini folks do not appreciate Guyanese tourist travelling in their country? If so, why? Aren't we people too?

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discrimination

Sharon..it's like the puerto ricans dont like the dominicans or the hindus and moslems in India dont like each other,i think it's ignorance and very narrow minded,we know that Guyanese are tight when coming to spending money,but thats from the hard times they had when Burnham was in power and i think those days are over.Trinidadian always think they were better,but look at the situation we are in now.Like the saying says...Monkey Dont Watch Their Own Tail.

Guyana
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Discrimination

You know Trini4life, your response is right on the money. You’ve solved the mystery for me.

Indeed some of my fellow Guyanese are thrifty. I've seen it for myself. And would you believe, even though many of them have become far better off today (even to the point of down-right rich), those intrinsic patterns (to conserve), remain with them still.

This is primarily because they've become disciplined with the knowledge of what it's like to 'not have'. You are right. And this display of 'modesty' is often misunderstood for 'cheapness' as a result.

But that Trinidadians have chosen to snob them just for this inconsequential defect, very sad. Because the majority of Guyanese I know, really are nice people, if you took the time to know a few.

Here’s to the ‘wise’ who continue to discriminate: It is hoped that one day, you'll stop to really appreciate more of what tourism should be about – not the mere commercial values we see in each other. But rather, the magical experience of each other – the new peoples, new cultures and most of all, the simple practice of decent human relations among each other. Something our spirits are greatly in need of today, more than ever.

If you ask me, with love alone as your main tourist attraction, you’d be twice as rich. Because no amount of turquoise water or white sands could ever beat a true Trini smile.

Please, show my fellow Guyanese the same regard you’ve shown me. Even if you think they’re too poor to deserve it.

See ya’all in a few days.

NY
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Discrimination

Is because it have ah set ah guyanese living in Trinidad illegally and then they does bad talk we.

Guyana
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Discrimination

TriniBob:

Thank you for your response. In my books, regardless of “lookin fuh betterment”, as some Guyanese love to plea while trying to justify staying in someone else’s country illegally, it is wrong. Against the law. And these offenders should be dealt with as the law of the land dictates.

As for the ‘bad talking’ of Trinidadians, all I can say is, this practice generally comes from a select group of ‘low level thinkers’. And I’m surprised that Trinidadians (presumably superior, as we’ve agreed they believe of themselves) can’t see this for what it is.

To lash-out at all Guyanese because of the few that offend Trinidadians, in my opinion is *just as shallow-minded. Especially when this lashing-out, spills to those coming to T&T to spend good money – and leave just like everyone else.

And yes, some of us in reality actually do spend good money, irrespective of the stereotypical beliefs some Trinidadians (especially airport immigration) have of us. Both tourist dollars and more so corporate dollars; speaking on behalf of the more-than-frequent Guyanese business traveler to Trinidad. Check account records. The ‘consumer products’ and ‘media production’ segments should bear all the proof, to state a booming few.

Now TriniBob, I know that no country, or its people, should have to put up with this sort of thing you raised. From a Guyanese jerk or any other jerkish foreign national for that matter.

But come on, you must admit, in order to maintain fairness, composure and proper social etiquette as a tourist island serious about its objectives, Trinidadians must be able to separate matters. Be able to rationalize this without becoming negatively emotional across the board.

This would really be the matured and sensible thing to do. So why aren’t they doing it again? – Refer to paragraph 3, line 1*.

Peace!

NY
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Discrimination

Will written and thought out rebuttle. I, agree with you but from my personal experience guyanese as well as most other caribbean islanders (I have discover) genuinely dislike Trinidadians. Why? I don't know. It's a cycle that would just be repeated if all this resentment against Trinis continued. There are many guyanese in Trinidad who are productive members of society.....yes it's wrong but, it's human nature.

This bad treatment, I guess, has grown and flourished due to negative stereotypes about guyanese and trinis both. As I have come to find out (rudely) Trinis don't have a good rep with other islands...they say we're hoity toity, stock up, think we superior, trickydadians, de list goes on forever.....and i guess some are. I will admit that when i visited Grenada and Jamiaca, I was a bit suprise how different those Islands were, very different from Trinidad. On de other hand, I know Trinis have there issues with guyanese, vincy's, bajans because of this "bad talk" way they have. There's a huge population of them in Trinidad who are illegal and who are on government relief progames, etc. There is further annoyance from the fact that de opposition in TnT saying that these islanders are imported to vote in election.

So it's all sorts of issues, some trivial and some not. Will it ever end? I don't know. Is it right? No! Guyanese should have as much right to travel to and from Trinidad as any other national.

Tobago
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Discrimination

Clearly most of the negativity regarding our regional brothers and sisters stem from the fact that we were not a Tourism oriented country at first. Remember the words of the Late. Dr. Eric Williams" We do not want a nation of bus boys and Waitresses" This in itself seemed to set us apart from our caribbean neighbours who relies heavily on Tourism to be a major contributor to their economy including the major earner of foreign exchange.

This has set some standards in our neighbours that we were not willing to follow in the beginning,so hence we who have a very large manufacturing industry have problems with things like littering which is much less prevalent in smaller islands and Guyana.

The primary reason is attitudes and we all need to start learning from the positive attitudes from each island and not dwell on the negatives.

Peace on earth to all.

Guyana
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Discrimination

Really appreciate your opinion on the matter Mancarib.

However, I must point out, we are by no means any different as it relates to littering, and further, it was never our intension to 'dwell on the negative'.

In order to achieve change, we almost always have to stop and take stock of ourselves, then do the total opposite so that we achieve the positive.

Only for that reason, along with pure curiosity and concern, was this topic introduced.

Seems pretty ‘positive’ to me…

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discrimination

Mancarib,we probably would have been better off if we were a nation of busboys and waitresses.Look at Barbados and some of the other islands,they are in a better position than us.

Level Contributor
1,109 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discrimination

I was just scanning the caribbean forums and happened to come upon your post. You all seem like wonderful kind and warmhearted people and it is a shame that in this current time we have to continue with "old" traditions and beliefs. If everyone thought like all of you we would have such a beautiful world and many wonderful places to vacation!

Guyana
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Discrimination

Thank you for appreciating our views Zaney.

That’s the ultimate idea really – to have readers stumble upon our reasoning, which will in turn, hopefully force some of them to ask deeper questions of themselves.

Questions which lead to that very simple realization of, “Hey! If we all did our part by behaving like decent human beings towards each other, then my! What a far better and united Caribbean we can all have to enjoy”.

Not to mention the added benefits of personal healing and character development in the process.

Get answers to your questions about Tobago
Recent Conversations