We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Tobago
Search

recommend good taxi driver for local tour?

Suffolk
Level Contributor
321 posts
16 reviews
19 helpful votes
recommend good taxi driver for local tour?
Save

Hi

my mum and step-dad are coming to Tobago in November to celebrate my mum's birthday (Lucky girl!).

Both walk with sticks and my step-dad can no longer drive and mum is a tad nevous.

I would like to try and ararnge in advance or get contact details of a reliable local taxi driver who may be able to provide local tours and some local history and insight. They are staying in an apartment so will be wanting to get out and about and mum especially loves to go out and see some of the real island and not be restricted.

Also does anyone also know what local public transport is like, in Antigua and Barbados I always used the local mini-vans myself as they are so cheap and easy but was not sure what Tobago has.

thanks very much

P

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
33 helpful votes
1. Re: recommend good taxi driver for local tour?
Save

There is a lovely lady that works out of Turtle Beach Hotel and her name is Edris. I'm sure you could call the hotel (Rex Turtle Beach-can get the number for you) and make arrangements. She is a very special lady.

Also, I like to refer a gentleman called Leroy. He is a super guy and very knowledgeable on Tobago and is very involved in the steel pan....his number is (area code 868) 639-8989. (my daughters Godfather). BOth have been taxi drivers for many years and are great folks.

I hope this helps and happy birthday to Mom!!

cheers Lil Red

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
33 helpful votes
2. Re: recommend good taxi driver for local tour?
Save

Oh yes, there are buses, but wouldn't recommend as there really isn't a tight schedule (no surprise) and probably not comfortable. There are mini vans available for hire, but don't run like in Barbados where you can hail them down. Also there is a local 'public car hire' system, but definately not for tourists! I think that your original idea of taxi hire is the best for all involved.

Stockton UK
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: recommend good taxi driver for local tour?
Save

If you're staying in the Crown Point area then ring Paddy on 784-5865 - he is an excellent driver & very good tour guide and can be used for short and long trips. he is always prompt & courteous. We have just returned from Tobago and used him all the time as did many people who stayed at the Sandy Point Beach club.

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
16 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: recommend good taxi driver for local tour?
Save

i 2nd Edris as a good bet,understanding ,cheap and knows everyone and thing

Suffolk
Level Contributor
321 posts
16 reviews
19 helpful votes
5. Re: recommend good taxi driver for local tour?
Save

Thank you all for your responses it isappreciated.

Now onto finding a good restaurant for her special birthday meal!

P

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
1 review
33 helpful votes
6. Re: recommend good taxi driver for local tour?
Save

Pets75 ...may I suggest going to www. mytobago.info and searching thru their restaurant section.

Personally I like LaTartaruga, Bonkers and like the ambience at Shirvan Watermill and Arnos Vale Waterwheel (altho a bit expensive). ANother favourite (especially for lunch or early dinners) is The Seahorse Inn....consistent and nice spot. Good luck.

Lil Red

7. Re: recommend good taxi driver for local tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 11, 2009